• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Labelling bird names - capitalisation? (1 Viewer)

rafiki

Brian Davies
How should the capitalisation of bird names be?
eg: At the beginning of a sentence:
Pink-backed pelican/Pink-Backed Pelican/Pink-backed Pelican.
In the middle of text:
Pink-backed pelican/pink-backed pelican/Pink-Backed Pelican

What is the correct protocol?

Even though my grasp of English isn't immaculate, I've written a couple of books. The proofreader for these pulled me up on the following-
All capitals (Great Spotted Cuckoo) unless it's hyphenated (Yellow-billed Cuckoo). If adding the Latin, then first word in capital, second lower case (Clamator glandarius).

As in the thread linked above and others! This has been discussed endlessly.

As with all things in the English language there are no rules other than the actual usage. If you are writing for yourself then do what ever you want, if you are writing for publication then stick to their proscribed format or style guide.

Thanks, all. I'll go with all capitals except following a hyphen then.

Cheers.

That can be tricky too take e.g grey crowned crane, is it a grey crane with a crown in which case Grey Crowned Crane is correct or if it's a crane with a grey crown then Grey-crowned Crane would be correct though I stand to be corrected.

A

Agree with mono and others above. One way out of this dilemma is to follow a recognised authority such as IOC. E.g. here, using andyadcock's example, we find Grey Crowned Crane. (They have a whole section on hyphenation that you may or may not find interesting.)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back