• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (7 Viewers)

Blackbird uncropped at 5X optical (3000mm). Bit hard to hand hold (tripod pan/tilt axis all undone). I'm going to get an articulated magic arm so that I can lock everything up really rigid for this high mag stuff. Will be good for astro photography too.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_2895.jpg
    DSC_2895.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 78
Paul,

That's truly impressive. Beats anything I've seen so far at 3000mm. I don't get how you can nail focus using OVF and single speed focuser. Do you use Live View? Is this the best of N shots, N = ?

Paul,

That's truly impressive. Beats anything I've seen so far at 3000mm. I don't get how you can nail focus using OVF and single speed focuser. Do you use Live View? Is this the best of N shots, N = ?

I never use live view, I can never really get on with it. Never had a problem nailing focus through an OVF with a single speed focuser. I guess it's what you get used to, if you've only ever known one thing then you get good at it. It's something I've been able to do since the first day I took up this hobby. I've had a dual speed focuser in the past but I find the image goes in and out of focus too slowly for me to see the sweet spot.

This was the best of only 3 images before the bird flew off. Out of the others, one more was as sharp as this but the bird was looking at me with most of the face in shade and the third image was again looking at me and only slightly soft.

Paul.

"I find the image goes in and out of focus too slowly for me to see the sweet spot."
Good point. I often find the micro-focus distracting.

"I find the image goes in and out of focus too slowly for me to see the sweet spot."
Good point. I often find the micro-focus distracting.

Nice focusing Paul !

I like to have both speeds. The fast knob is handy to get quickly to the focusing spot and to get a feel of what can be achieved in terms of focus - the slow knob if for fine tuning... if the bird is still there.

Blackbird uncropped at 5X optical (3000mm). Bit hard to hand hold (tripod pan/tilt axis all undone). I'm going to get an articulated magic arm so that I can lock everything up really rigid for this high mag stuff. Will be good for astro photography too.

Paul.

Looks good. That would be 3000 pixels at 1200mm or 1/2 the 6000pixels of the D600.

My Nikon D3300 is 6000 x 4000 resolution while your D600 is 6016 x 4016. D3300 is 24mp.

Paul.

I calculated based on the ration of FLs.

Could you please post a 100% crop from that shot? The feathers at the neck have fine lines good for resolution viewing.

Last edited:
At 100% they aren't all that sharp. At 3000mm the photo was hand held at only 1/125s. The bird was sat on my tiled roof in the sun on a warm day so there will be some heat distortion. There's too many factors going on to ruin the image when viewed too big so I don't know that we can gain much based on this one photo.

I'd really need to put the scope on a bean bag and use mirror lock up to see how sharp the 5X can actually get, preferably early morning too before the air gets too warm.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_2895_1.jpg
    DSC_2895_1.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 51
Here is the side by side, both at 100%. Yours is easier to use by far than a 33 lb, 4ft by 10" dob. The raw is also much easier to work with. On the other hand there is no way around the physics. The size of the diffraction blur is a function of the aperture. I picked a 10" after calculating the size of the diffraction spot to match my pixel size.

Attachments

• side by side.jpg
    side by side.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 64
Here is the side by side, both at 100%. Yours is easier to use by far than a 33 lb, 4ft by 10" dob. The raw is also much easier to work with. On the other hand there is no way around the physics. The size of the diffraction blur is a function of the aperture. I picked a 10" after calculating the size of the diffraction spot to match my pixel size.

The Blackbird photo was posted purely to show an experiment of taping two telenegative lenses together and taking a few photos. It wasn't posted as an example of what the scope can do at its best, the quality is far from what I can get on a good day of experimenting. That's why I said there was nothing to gain from the 100% crop. All this week I've been taping different telenegatives together, some are poor, some produce ok results, some produce a lot of CA and every now and then a combination looks promising. I tried a combination late this evening which I believe will be much better. At 80m I manage to photograph a small fly on a leaf and resolve enough detail to see its legs. We are in a mini heat wave at the moment and 90% of the day it is impossible to photograph at such high mags without air distortion. I tried at 8am this morning and at 7pm this evening and at 3000mm the air was still all over the place with no chance of getting consistent sharp detail.

Paul.

"On the other hand there is no way around the physics."
On the other hand there is no way around the AIR!

I think the air will always be the limiting factor rather than the optics for digiscoping/prime focus photography. I was up at 6.30am today because my daughter is going on a school camping trip for the weekend. I was out photographing through the scope by 7am and even then at between 4X and 5X the sun was creating the dreaded heat shimmer effect. It was easily visible through the cameras OVF and I had to keep waiting for a cool breeze to briefly settle things down. Of the few optics I tried, the Teleplus 2X TC produced the best results and I think generally 2.5X or 1500mm is about as high as I can go before it's a waste of time. For the bulk of the day, probably 1.5x or less is enough and then just crop it.

Paul.

A couple from the garden today, both taken with the Teleplus 2X macro focusing teleconverter. The little Field/Wood Mouse is getting to be a regular visitor to the bird table. It's interesting to see the birds reaction when they visit and it is just sat there. Both photos uncropped, ISO 1600.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_3414.jpg
    DSC_3414.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_3397.jpg
    DSC_3397.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 63
Great mouse!:t:
Nervy little guy, mixing it up with all those sharp beaks!
As to air.... there seems to be a reason why they put Hubble in space!
Ah, but aren't the twinkling stars lovely?
It is still amazing to me how little air it takes to bugger up a shot, even at relatively close distance, when the circumstances aren't really good. Makes any long lens work a challenge, and can make an otherwise fantastic lens/scope look like an ebay midnight special.

Great mouse!:t:
Nervy little guy, mixing it up with all those sharp beaks!

I've got some thin bamboo growing next to the bird table which the mouse runs up to gain access and that's also the favored escape route. The other day though a Blackbird landed on the roof of the bird table and the mouse just leapt off the side and descended a couple of feet into a small bush. Straight away though we could see the bamboo twitching and up it came, time after time. I read that mice/rats have bad eyesight and this was confirmed when my daughter walked slowly up to the bird table, she got to within 2 feet, got her phone out, took photos and filmed it for at least a minute. I then did the same and got right up close, it was only a car driving past that startled it enough to make it run away.

Paul.

I think the air will always be the limiting factor rather than the optics for digiscoping/prime focus photography. I was up at 6.30am today ...

Paul.
I totally agree. On a sunny day in May, temperature gradient caused by energy heating up the ground becomes noticeable as soon as sun has been rising for two hours. On such days I will try to be on site at dawn, implying getting up at 4AM... or waiting until two hours before sunset.

I totally agree. On a sunny day in May, temperature gradient caused by energy heating up the ground becomes noticeable as soon as sun has been rising for two hours. On such days I will try to be on site at dawn, implying getting up at 4AM... or waiting until two hours before sunset.

That is the winning strategy. Fortunately wildlife is active at this time.

It also helps to check your local Clear Sky chart for good air conditions.

Reed Buntings

Some patient waiting for the morning mist to dissolve paid off. One is a 2/3 crop wihout TN and the other a full frame by adding the Zuiko TN excavated from the Zuiko 100-200.

I'm quite pleased with these.

TS102 700mm (+ 1.45x TN)
EM-5 1000 ISO

Attachments

• Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus)_1.jpg
    Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus)_1.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus)_2.jpg
    Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus)_2.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back