• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Javascript (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
One of the websites I use suddenly isn't working properly.

The owners said they had found a bug and sorted it, but I need to have Javascript enabled.

I can't see I've got Javascript installed in this new W10 laptop. Is it OK to do so, and how do I find it?

JavaScript is part of the web browser It enables web sites to do things, rather than just show content. Most browsers have it turned on by default. Some folk will turn it off out of paranoia, but you have to actively do this.

The most likely thing is that the page you are going to has a faulty JavaScript detector and thinks you have it off when you don't.

This page has the ways of checking for the different browsers https://www.enable-javascript.com/

Thanks Mono

I'm using Pale Moon, which isn't included in those 5.

I've looked through the list of programmes through control panel, but can't see Javascript listed there, and can't see it in Task Manager.

However, I have Firefox as a back-up browser and can use that site on there.

JavaScript is not a separate programme it is part of your web browser. The page I linked to has a tester to see if JavaScript is turned on at the top underneath the programme icons.

Ooops!! LOL I see.... this message you mean

Javascript is enabled in your web browser. If you disable JavaScript, this text will change.

.... so it is enabled. So that can't be the reason that site isn't working properly for me.

Thanks again Mono - I'll get back to them and let them know.

Are you using any kind of script or ad blocker, Delia? Is there a chance that you could have blocked this webpage from running scripts? That would be something else to check.

Andrea

Hi Andrea. Thanks.

Yes I do have an Ad Blocker.... well in fact I seem to have two(?) Adblock Edge and uBlock.

I disabled both and tried that site, but the problem remained.

You may not be clearing your cache when you shut your browser therefore, it doesn't recognized the disabling of your adblockers. uBlock shouldn't act this way but I don't know about Adblock Edge....??

On the top of your browser click on TOOL > OPTIONS. When the PREFERENCE page opens click on PRIVACY.

Check to see if the last box under HISTORY is checked. For you it would say; Clear history when Pale Moon closes. Or whatever you current browser is.

Then go to the right side of the page and click on SETTINGS. In the pop up window, be sure CACHE is checked at the very least. You can check the other boxes at your discretion.

You can also clear your cache by clicking on HISTORY in the toolbar and then click on Clear Recent History.

After you clear your cache, re-start your browser and check to see if you're still having troubles.

It's a guess.....it's all I got.

Good Luck...!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back