• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Locations for bird photography in the UK. (1 Viewer)

Garuva

Hello fellow birders! Australian visiting UK looking for info on locations to snap local birds. Reading.. Folkestone....Wales....Snowdonia.
Mainly the prolific ones as I only have 3 weeks.
Thanking you in advance.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hope you don't mind but I made your title a bit more specific so your likely to get more answers from the members across the pond from me ;)

What time of year are you visiting?

Is "Reading.. Folkestone....Wales....Snowdonia" your predetermined itinerary? Snowdonia is in Wales, so whereabouts else in Wales.

The standard answer if you are after just numbers of species of UK birds is North Norfolk, but that is not that near "Reading.. Folkestone....Wales....Snowdonia".

What time of year are you visiting?

Is "Reading.. Folkestone....Wales....Snowdonia" your predetermined itinerary? Snowdonia is in Wales, so whereabouts else in Wales.

The standard answer if you are after just numbers of species of UK birds is North Norfolk, but that is not that near "Reading.. Folkestone....Wales....Snowdonia".

Thank you Yes that is my predetermined itinerary.Will be there first 3 weeks in October. Travelling from Bridgend in Wales to Snowdonia.....Thank you for the North Norfolk tip.

North Wales - best photographic chances are most likely to be RSPB Conway reserve at any time, or, even better, Abergwynregyn at high tide - great for waterfowl, waders especially greenshank, and chances of eg kingfisher, dipper, chiffchaff, firecrest...

If going from Bridgend to Snowdonia up the A470, shortest but not necessarily quickest route, well worth calling in at Gigrin Farm for photo opportunuities of Red Kites, Buzzards, Ravens etc (plus other common birds) info here http://www.gigrin.co.uk .

Nick

If going from Bridgend to Snowdonia up the A470, shortest but not necessarily quickest route, well worth calling in at Gigrin Farm for photo opportunuities of Red Kites, Buzzards, Ravens etc (plus other common birds) info here http://www.gigrin.co.uk .

Nick

Seconded. An afternoon a few years ago was one of the best of my life for the kites and there are hides set up with photographers in mind - and very reasonably priced. Don't miss it!

Perhaps consider Ryhope, Co Durham, too . . . not every day you have a chance to see one of these so easily!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 24
Ditto Gigrin. Don't go B&B at the farmhouse though unless you're OK with no heating in the rooms and no hot water. When we went to pay the bill, we found the owners snuggled up round a coal fire. You have to laugh.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back