• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need id on US comma butterfly (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
I saw this comma in Alaska last year. If anyone can tell me which species it is, I'd appreciate it.
TIA

Attachments

• butterfly med.jpg
    butterfly med.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 192
The dark border at the trailing edge of the rear wings, seems wrong for the three North American varieties. A really nice photo though Helen.

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.
Pete, checked the website you gave and I also think it is a Hoary Comma - due to the lack of a central dark spot on the hind wing.
I need to buy myself a butterfly field guide!

Helen, I looked at your picture here and in the gallery. The Kaufman Focus Guide to Butterlfies is a really good one if you're looking for a field guide. It has silhouettes of the size of the butterfly and shows them both w/ their wings open and closed.

Leslie

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back