• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

questions + suggestions for a lightweight tripod (1 Viewer)

Strange Little Bird

Hello,

I've been trying to choose a tripod, but just realized that I may not know enough to pick one out yet.

First:
- I'd like to spend $150 or less.
- I'd like to be able to use it for both a Opticron MM3 60 millimeter scope that I haven't yet purchased (waiting on a sale that I know is coming up) and a Canon SX50 point and shoot. I may also be getting a better camera with real lenses soon, (like a Canon Rebel T3i) and it would be great if it can handle it too.
- It needs to be lightweight since I have a tear in my shoulder and can't carry too much weight around.

Questions:
- I'm seeing info here on various types of tripod heads, but I don't know what kind of head is best for birding with a scope or a camera. Do I want a video head or a ball head?
- I've read about people on this forum buying tripod legs and head separately but I'd prefer to get a matched set of both at once. Is the silk tripod below good option or bad option for my needs?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ATBEX6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXCB29L39I26U

- Can you make some suggestions in my price range?

Thanks for all your help!

Their reviews are a bit mashed-up. Most are for the non ball-head (which looks wimpy
and a few reviewers say so), but the photo is the little ball-head.
Amazon squishes multiple variants together in reviews sometimes. It's annoying.

Definitely do not go for a ball head! For scope use in particular you need the more precise control of a 2- or 3-way pan head, preferably fluid damped. At the very least, I would opt for the Manfrotto 700RC2 which will be ample for a 60mm scope and/or a camera including a DSLR. As for legs, carbon fibre would give you the lightness that you require but most - if not all - are likely to be beyond your budget. Check the websites of reputable tripod manufacturers such as Manfrotto, Giottos, Velbon, Slik etc and select a set that best satisfies your needs. Remember: the shorter it is when collapsed, the more leg sections it will have and the less stable it will be. Don't be tempted to go for the shortest, lightest, cheapest option as you'll almost certainly regret it later and be forced to buy again.

Hope this is helpful?

Excellent advice. Sorry my bit was a little garbled on the ball-head issue.

The piece about the leg length is especially crucial for the size of the MM3.
Given its smaller size and decent mass, it should be very easy to stabilize the view, but shorter leg segments
will make it quite shaky.

What about the velbon sherpa 200r and PH157QK head? It is listed on the opticron website and there are great deals online for it.

I have the same scope and looking for a tripod on the same budget too.

What about the velbon sherpa 200r and PH157QK head? It is listed on the opticron website and there are great deals online for it.

I have the same scope and looking for a tripod on the same budget too.

I feel that this is a perfect match for the MM3 as long as your eyepiece isn't too heavy. I tried one with the SDL2 eyepiece, and it was very tail-heavy on that head and I didn't like it. However, the scope was perfectly balanced with the HDF zoom eyepiece that it is most commonly sold with.

You could also step up up to the Velbon 600 legs with the same head without blowing the budget: that will be significantly sturdier (and heavier). Just make sure you avoid the models with a crank handle to wind up the centre column: you want the type where the column slides in and out manually so you can use it with a hide clamp accessory.

In response to the original poster if he's still in doubt:

2-way video head is best for mounting a scope or shooting video with a camera.

A 3-way head is good for a camera if you might want to flip it into portrait orientation but unless it's very high quality you're sacrificing a bit of stability and adding weight.

A ball head is probably not the right choice for birding for most people but give one a try some time, you might find you like it.

I have a ball head and will likely be buying either a 2-way or 3-way head for the spotting scope/camera. A ball head just is not very practical for a scope. I not sure I even like it for my camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back