• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shame on Swarovski: no 7x roof! (1 Viewer)

plc22

What a pity Swarovski doesn't make any 7x roof at all, a 7x42 or 7x50 SLC HD with 20mm+ ER with a super wide field would be a killer! I'm sure it would be a hit, the gap left when the awesome SLC 7x42 was discontinuated has yet to be filled.

I couldn't agree more. 7x42 is the best all rounder configuration. I would love to see Swaro produce a 7x42 again. One that betters the Zeiss Victory FL that I use.

Dear all,
I think we have to blame ourselves as customers, since a company stops making certain models if these models are not sold enough to make it profitable. That is how the 7x30 and 7x35 disappeared and probably also now the 7x42, how sad it is though.
Gijs

Quick look on their web site shows no porros. So while I know they produce one, what coating does it use, is it ED glass?

Also, if they produce one, will it use the exact same chassis as a current model, or will they have to gear up to make a new chassis, is the glass something they have already? What would the cost be to design and produce a new one, from design, to casting, to the glass to the finished product.

If Swaro thought it would sell, there would be one on the market. 100 people on an internet forum do not a market make.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. 7x42 is the best all rounder configuration. I would love to see Swaro produce a 7x42 again. One that betters the Zeiss Victory FL that I use.

Boogieshrew, Please elaborate more on your opinion that the Swarovski 7x42 (I trust the SLC Neu) is better than the Zeiss 7x42 FL.

However, and to remain focused on the topic, I agree that the 7x42 format is an excellent platform for both birding and hiking--in comparison to 8x42 model, it is more stable, and with appreciably wider field of view. Needless to say that the SLC Neu was a very strong competitor with (then) the other two manufacturers, but lost to the Zeiss FL because it was heavier and not as bright. Perhaps a newer SLC HD 7x42 would address these two points. Such a model, if it becomes available, would be in my radar screen as the case now with the new Leica HD 7x42 Plus. Regards.

My 2006 (The last year it was made) 7x42 SLC B is long and heavy but still a pleasure to use. According to the technical data chart that came with mine it weighs 33.5 ounces, has 19mm ER, an 8º FOV and a close focus of about 17 feet. (Which seems to me to be shorter than that.)

If Swarovski would make a 7x42 the same size and weight (5 ounces lighter than the old one) as the new SLC 8/10x42 WBs and sell it at the same price it would cost about $400.00 less than the 7x42 EDG and 7x42 Ultravid. My guess is that it would sell.

A Zeiss 7x42 HD is a different story. It would be an Abbe Koenig version of the new 8x42 SF without a flat field and it still would cost $400 bucks more than a 7x42 Swarovski SLC WB.

Bob

Last edited:
I suppose Swarovski knows the market, and only makes available models that will sell.

And sad to say, that means 7x42 does not sell. I have several 7X binoculars but I would never
shell out for a new high end model in that size. As most know, 8X and 10X both are the best
sellers.

The best choice in the high end right now would be the Nikon 7x42 EDG, and from reports from
users here, they are very good.
I do enjoy my 10x42 EDG.

Jerry

I suppose Swarovski knows the market, and only makes available models that will sell

Jerry

More than that, they MAKE the market (not only Swarovski)

I believe that most people buy what the manufacturers decide to sell them and not the opposite.They are smart enough to make people believe that they buy what they want and all the marketing is geared towards this goal: "you want this so we've made it for you" when it's actually: "we've decided to build this because it costs us less and now you have to buy it".

I guess 7x42 requires a slightly different design while 8x42 and 10x42 share the same one. Anyway there ought to be some cost explanation otherwise we would see 7x42 binoculars all over the place.

Now regarding the venerable 7x42 Habicht porro, I'm sorry but it has an ER from the 70's!
The "modern"Leica only has a not so inspiring, low 17mm ER (spec sheet data... could actually be even less)

So to me it is closer to:

"Swarovski makes the market and only produces models that will increase their turnover"

So if you like porros and/or 7x power you can just go and...

Personnally I own an 8x32 EL SV but I would have prefered a 7x32 EL SV by far!

Last edited:
Boogieshrew, Please elaborate more on your opinion that the Swarovski 7x42 (I trust the SLC Neu) is better than the Zeiss 7x42 FL.

Hi,

I'm not saying that the SLC 7x42 is better than the Zeiss FL. I used to own the SLC and much prefer the Zeiss.

What I am saying is that I would love to see Swaro produce a new 7x42 model that is better than the Zeiss Victory FL.

Maybe a 7x42 SLC HD or 7x42 Swarovision. With a fov as wide or wider than the Zeiss.

By the way, I use a 7x30 SLC which is about 12 years old as a summer binocular and the Zeiss 7x42 FL in winter for the extra light gathering.

I love my SLC 7X42 neu, and my Zeiss FL is only marginally brighter to me, the only issue with the SLC is the weight, it often gets left indoors purely for that reason. My own experience has led me to favor 7x or even 6.5x over anything else, the relaxed easy viewing they provide is superb, I sometimes use 8x but I would never choose 10x to hand hold now. I think perhaps the reason they do not sell is the vast majority of "new" buyers feel greater magnification must be best, and manufacturers and sellers do not really publicize or explain the advantages of 7x for certain users. How many times do you read here someone trying out the 8x and 10x Swaro or Leica etc in a shop and going with 10x because it seemed better? But as we know, in a shop, using it for a few minutes is very different to coping with image shake in the field with prolonged viewing. So, perhaps a combination of customers not buying but also makers not promoting the virtues of 7x for general hand held use well enough to those customers?

Last edited:
7x42 roof prism bins. Chicken or Egg?

Is it that the manufacturers won't make them or that birders won't buy them? 20 years (or so) ago very many birders in the UK (including myself) had Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt bins. Why the change; no production or no demand?

Birders wanting "top" bins usually consider Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica. Unfortunately, they often ignore Nikon and various reasons have been posted on BF previously.

Anyone serious about purchasing a "top" 7x42 roof prism should at least look at the Nikon EDG (II) before they too cease production. I have owned a pair for over 2 years and they are the best birding bins I have ever owned. Their close focus is only 2.1 metres so they are not ideal for watching insects. If you are interested see my review at:
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/385/cat/9

Peter

More than that, they MAKE the market (not only Swarovski)

I believe that most people buy what the manufacturers decide to sell them and not the opposite.They are smart enough to make people believe that they buy what they want and all the marketing is geared towards this goal: "you want this so we've made it for you" when it's actually: "we've decided to build this because it costs us less and now you have to buy it".

I guess 7x42 requires a slightly different design while 8x42 and 10x42 share the same one. Anyway there ought to be some cost explanation otherwise we would see 7x42 binoculars all over the place.

Now regarding the venerable 7x42 Habicht porro, I'm sorry but it has an ER from the 70's!
The "modern"Leica only has a not so inspiring, low 17mm ER (spec sheet data... could actually be even less)

So to me it is closer to:

"Swarovski makes the market and only produces models that will increase their turnover"

So if you like porros and/or 7x power you can just go and...

Personnally I own an 8x32 EL SV but I would have prefered a 7x32 EL SV by far!
The market would certainly exist without Swarovski. Besides, Leica and Nikon 7X42's more than fill the 7X void and both are excellent optics.

The market would certainly exist without Swarovski. Besides, Leica and Nikon 7X42's more than fill the 7X void and both are excellent optics.

It's what I said in brackets: not only Swarovski.
The Leica has below par ER and the Nikon suffers from too much CA. Both share a 140/141m FOV, this ought to be bettered nowadays.

So, according to what you say we should be happy with only two high end 7x42 models, when there are countless of 8x42/10x42?

It's what I said in brackets: not only Swarovski.
The Leica has below par ER and the Nikon suffers from too much CA. Both share a 140/141m FOV, this ought to be bettered nowadays.

So, according to what you say we should be happy with only two high end 7x42 models, when there are countless of 8x42/10x42?
Absolutely, both models are wonderful though I'm surprised 7X42's are still available. Anyone looking for a 7X better get one while they can. I was a slave to 7X42 for many years until I realized an 8X32 Swarovision would do the trick when I could no longer tolerate handshake. I happily replaced my 8x42 Ultravid with an 8.5 SV and then, to my surprise, fell in love with a 10X50 Swarovision. I just don't think 7X42's are going to find a stable market. On the other hand, a compact 6X32 Swarovision would be the ultimate "travel" binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back