• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x42 WB HD vs. SLC 42 (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi!

I have been warming up to the Swarovski SLC line of binoculars lately, and I'm thinking of which of the 8x42 models I should get, if I were to get one.

I know that the new SLC only has a 3.2 metre close focus, whereas the old SLC WB HD has 1.9.

They both seem to be identical except for the difference in close focus, but I have read somewhere that the new SLC is slightly better optically. Can someone comfirm this?

I would very much like a shorter close focus, and if the binoculars are otherwise equal, I would go for the old model (if I can still obtain one of course).

Now, it does happen that the stats on a particular binocular are different in real life compared to those stated by the manufacturer. Case in point; my Monarch 7 has a stated close focus of 2.5 metres, but in reality I can get it down to 1.8 or so. Does anyone know how the new SLC with the stated close focus of 3.2 performs in this regard?

Looking forward to your answers!
HN

Hi!

I have been warming up to the Swarovski SLC line of binoculars lately, and I'm thinking of which of the 8x42 models I should get, if I were to get one.

I know that the new SLC only has a 3.2 metre close focus, whereas the old SLC WB HD has 1.9.

They both seem to be identical except for the difference in close focus, but I have read somewhere that the new SLC is slightly better optically. Can someone comfirm this?

I would very much like a shorter close focus, and if the binoculars are otherwise equal, I would go for the old model (if I can still obtain one of course).

Now, it does happen that the stats on a particular binocular are different in real life compared to those stated by the manufacturer. Case in point; my Monarch 7 has a stated close focus of 2.5 metres, but in reality I can get it down to 1.8 or so. Does anyone know how the new SLC with the stated close focus of 3.2 performs in this regard?

Looking forward to your answers!
HN

Hi HN,

No, not really. At the point when Swaro discontinued the SLC-HD and replaced them with the downgraded SLC (how else to put it?), the company [confirmed] that the optics and coatings were the same. The only difference was the simpler focusing mechanism and body armor design. The focuser change resulted in a longer short focus and slightly slower focus speed in the range that remained beyond 10 ft. The very slow focusing in the SLC-HD's 6-10 ft. range, of course, was eliminated.

The only change in optics for the newest SLC bought today might be in slightly improved coating, assuming an upgrade was made in the last year year or so.

My best advice would be to purchase the original SLC-HD, if one is still available, and enjoy what in my opinion is the finest birding binocular the company ever produced. It's a classic.

Ed

Last edited:
If you mean the newest SLC compared to the older SLC-HD ... no. They are the same.

Ed

PS. But, I forgot to mention they are slightly lighter.

Last edited:
If you mean the newest SLC compared to the older SLC-HD ... no. They are the same.

Ed

PS. But, I forgot to mention they are slightly lighter.

Thanks. My mistake. I had my SLC Neu 7x42 B in mind for the comparison. That one, it seems, is quite a bit longer (15mm) and heavier (90 grams) than either of the 8x42s above.

Bob

Last edited:
My best advice would be to purchase the original SLC-HD, if one is still available, and enjoy what in my opinion is the finest birding binocular the company ever produced. It's a classic.
Ed

Thanks a lot! I found a web retailer in my country which sells the SLC-HD. Unfortunately, they only have 10x42s left... I am traditionally an 8x guy, but I must say its tempting to pull the trigger on that one. :smoke:

Thanks a lot! I found a web retailer in my country which sells the SLC-HD. Unfortunately, they only have 10x42s left... I am traditionally an 8x guy, but I must say its tempting to pull the trigger on that one. :smoke:

HN,

The 10x42 SLC-HD is a very fine binocular. However, be careful of eye relief since it only has 16mm compared to 18.5mm for the 8x42. Try before you buy, if possible. 16mm should be ample if you don't use prescription eyeglasses, or if you do and are only moderately myopic.

Also keep in mind that for many/most purposes the newest SLCs are outstanding.

Let us know how it works out.

Happy birdwatching and Happy Holidays,

Ed

HN,

The 10x42 SLC-HD is a very fine binocular. However, be careful of eye relief since it only has 16mm compared to 18.5mm for the 8x42. Try before you buy, if possible. 16mm should be ample if you don't use prescription eyeglasses, or if you do and are only moderately myopic.

Also keep in mind that for many/most purposes the newest SLCs are outstanding.

Let us know how it works out.

Happy birdwatching and Happy Holidays,

Ed

Thanks a lot! I don't usually have a problem with eye relief (the one on my Opticron Oregon is shorter) and don't use glasses, so I should be fine! ;)

Maybe it's time for me to switch to a 10x birding binocular? :king:

I have tried the new SLC, and it is great, except I don't care much for the "dinosaur skin" finish which to me looks very ugly and cheap. I think the SLC-HD looks much more stylish in this regard! :smoke:

Well, the shop got back to me today, and the bin they had for sale was actually the SLC Neu, not the SLC-HD... :smoke:

So, that means that my search for an SLC-HD 8x42 continues. ;)

For me, the 8x42 SLC HD is a fabulous binocular.. I tried the 8.5 x 42 SW but found the rolling ball gave me headaches and nausea after extended use. I also have an old 8.4x42 EL from 2002 and a Zeiss Victory FL. The SLC HD is superior to both and is like an upgraded EL without the field flattener lenses. I personally feel their performance betters the Swaro EL SW but as in all things, you have to try them for yourself.

I've never jumped on the Swarovski bandwagon because after trying several models I found they didn't suit me and carried on using my faithful Bushnell Elites.

But by chance I recently tried the 8x42 SLC's and had to get some. Now I have bought a pair and apart from being heavier than my Bushnells they are optically superb.

For me, the 8x42 SLC HD is a fabulous binocular.. I tried the 8.5 x 42 SW but found the rolling ball gave me headaches and nausea after extended use. I also have an old 8.4x42 EL from 2002 and a Zeiss Victory FL. The SLC HD is superior to both and is like an upgraded EL without the field flattener lenses. I personally feel their performance betters the Swaro EL SW but as in all things, you have to try them for yourself.

Marty,

523.... just keeping count of all those who reported issues with RB in the SV ELs. ;)

The worst part is that the RB will cost you $800 extra!

I've tried a 2001 EL, and not only do the SLC HDs have better optics, but coatings are much improved and give better contrast and color saturation than the old EL. Of course, you could take an older Porro and say the same thing. AR coatings have improved dramatically in the past 14 years.

I was also very impressed with the CA control in the 10x SLC, so I would imagine the 8x42 is also very good in controlling CA on-axis, perhaps with a bit more CA off-axis due to the wider FOV.

I'd like to chat more, Marty, but I've got to get back to the future! :flyaway:

Doc

This might sound weird, but after using the EL8x32SV for a couple of months, I really had to get used to the "normal" view of our recently purchased Trinovid. It's all between the ears I suppose;-)
I prefer a flat field bin over a classic design.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back