• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just checking (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

Thursday I took a walk in the Oslo (Norway) city forest. Thought I'd practice using my Coolpix camera, as I won't be able to carry the D90 for some weeks after surgery next month. Wasn't doing too well with the Coolpix (no manual focus, so hard to pick out birds in trees) until I got to Sognsvann (Sogn lake). Got a nice shot of a female mallard, since they don't spook easily. Also managed to capture this much smaller diving duck, after following it along the lake shore until I worked out about how far it would go on each dive before bobbing up again. When it was in the shallows near the bathing beach I could even track its movements by the surface disturbances. Since it was only on the surface for a few seconds between dives, it was constantly wet and therefore constantly appeared a fairly even, dark brown. Two shots do show some areas of lighter plumage. I'm guessing this is a Eurasion Wigeon, or could it be a female or juvie Ruddy Duck? With the plumage patterns so unclear I thought I'd better check.

Attachments

• Brunnakke kanskje.jpg
    Brunnakke kanskje.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Ung brunnakke kanskje.jpg
    Ung brunnakke kanskje.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Hmmm ... didn't think of Goldeneye, since the eye is so dark. Are female's eyes less golden? Or juveniles? Are those little white bits on the cheek maybe a molting or emerging white patch?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back