• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 Waders, Bulgaria, No idea. (1 Viewer)

DJ66

Hi Guys.
It doesnt matter how hard I look I just cant work them out, I look for marks around the eyes, legs, and bill shape etc but still end up stumped, can someone help me out. what am I missing?

Attachments

• DSC08693n [800x600].jpg
    DSC08693n [800x600].jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC08748n [800x600].jpg
    DSC08748n [800x600].jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC08803n [800x600].jpg
    DSC08803n [800x600].jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 150
1st and 3rd - Wood Sandpiper and 2nd - Greenshank

I would say just keep watching and maybe try to ID more in the field than with photos later to give you more chances to see more of the features in different lighting and angles. Then you will know the birds before attempting photos.

1st and 3rd - Wood Sandpiper and 2nd - Greenshank

I would say just keep watching and maybe try to ID more in the field than with photos later to give you more chances to see more of the features in different lighting and angles. Then you will know the birds before attempting photos.

Agreed

Thanks for the advice guys I will try and name i the field and see if I improve, cheers for your help.

The slightly up-turned bill is a helpful ID marker for the Greenshank. The really prominent supercillium extending behind the eye is a good starting indicator for the Wood Sandpiper. I'm no expert but it does take time and experience to become confident with IDing what you're seeing. I've found that even if you don't know what you're looking at, just keep watching it and get an idea of its behaviour and 'ways'. Then, if you later get the ID, you can attach that to the experience and your knowlegde builds up. Practice is the key :t:
Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back