• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How can I tighten hinge on Zeiss Victory 8 x 40B T* P* (1 Viewer)

Mr Patience

I have a pair of Zeiss Victory 8 x 40B T* P* binoculars. I've had them from new and they are still great. The hinge has become loose over the years.
Here are some photo of them so you can see what model they are:

I can't see how to tighten the main hinge. I don't want to send them in and pay through the nose just for something I could do myself if I knew how to find the adjustment.

Has anyone done this please?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Zeiss3c.jpg
    Zeiss3c.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Zeiss2c.jpg
    Zeiss2c.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 104
  • Zeiss1c.jpg
    Zeiss1c.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 138
Hi Phil,
The binocular isn't that old, it might still be under warranty.

I bought them in 2002 or 2003 so they're about 12-13 years old now. Not sure how long the warranty is. I still have the box but I don't have any papers any more.

Do you think they can tell from the serial number how old they are?

I bought them in 2002 or 2003 so they're about 12-13 years old now. Not sure how long the warranty is. I still have the box but I don't have any papers any more.

Do you think they can tell from the serial number how old they are?

Back than, it was 25 years warranty so no worries. At this moment Zeiss put the action where their mouth is (good aftersales service).

Jan

If these are anything like the Nikon HG's to tighten the hinge you have to get the focus knob off and then do some disassembly. I let Nikon do it (under warranty).

I have a pair of Zeiss Victory 8 x 40B T* P* binoculars. I've had them from new and they are still great. The hinge has become loose over the years.
Here are some photo of them so you can see what model they are:

I can't see how to tighten the main hinge. I don't want to send them in and pay through the nose just for something I could do myself if I knew how to find the adjustment.

Has anyone done this please?

Many thanks.

In your 3rd photo, you have unscrewed the bottom hinge cap.
I can't tell what the round thing is sticking up, but that may be
the way to tighten the hinge. Also that small hole may have
a very small set screw to keep it in place.

It would be nice if Gary would chime in, as he is a Zeiss tech.
and very helpful.

Good luck. Jerry

Yes, I am on holiday until 4th January but.................

Send them in to me and I will tighten it at no cost. The address to send them to is :

Carl Zeiss Ltd
c/o SDV Ltd
Evolution Business Park
Milton Road
Impington
Cambridge
CB24 9NG

And just FYI - these tighten in a totally different way to the Nikon HG.

Happy New Year.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back