• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To all fans of classic Zeiss binoculars (1 Viewer)

Very interesting, particularly after reading about the east-west split of Jena and Zeiss after WWII, which by coincidence, i had only just seen.
Can i ask when the 8x32 FL first appeared in this timeline, and where the pre- and post- Lotutec point was?

Thanks for the interesting link Arek.

I noticed a couple of minor errors and I have a couple of questions.

The Victory FL cutaway view is incorrectly labeled as the 7x42 model. The 7x42 can be visually distinguished from the 8/10x42s by a shorter objective barrel. The photo of green models just below the cutaway shows the short barreled 7x42 on the left and a longer barreled 8/10x42 on the right. Notice that the cutaway shows a 5 element eyepiece. The text refers to a 6 element eyepiece in the 10x42. Do you know for certain that the 10x had a 6 element eyepiece? If it did then the cutaway must be the 8x42.

LotuTec was first introduced in January of 2007, not 2008.

Do you know whether the particular Victory FL 10x42 binocular used for the light transmission measurements in the article was pre or post LotuTec?

Thanks

Henry

Very interesting, particularly after reading about the east-west split of Jena and Zeiss after WWII, which by coincidence, i had only just seen.
Can i ask when the 8x32 FL first appeared in this timeline, and where the pre- and post- Lotutec point was?

Paddy

FL 32 appeared in 2005.
See Henry's post for Lotutec.

Lee

Thanks for the interesting link Arek.

I noticed a couple of minor errors and I have a couple of questions.

The Victory FL cutaway view is incorrectly labeled as the 7x42 model. The 7x42 can be visually distinguished from the 8/10x42s by a shorter objective barrel. The photo of green models just below the cutaway shows the short barreled 7x42 on the left and a longer barreled 8/10x42 on the right. Notice that the cutaway shows a 5 element eyepiece. The text refers to a 6 element eyepiece in the 10x42. Do you know for certain that the 10x had a 6 element eyepiece? If it did then the cutaway must be the 8x42.

LotuTec was first introduced in January of 2007, not 2008.

Do you know whether the particular Victory FL 10x42 binocular used for the light transmission measurements in the article was pre or post LotuTec?

Thanks

Henry

Henry,

The picture of the cutaway labeled 7x42 is the same picture shown in Allbinos April 2012 review of the 8x42. It is labeled as a 7x42 there.

http://www.allbinos.com/238-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x42_T*_FL.html

I have a 7x42 and I had never noticed its shorter objective barrels before. But I never had access to an 8 or 10x42 to compare it with.

Bob

Last edited:
Henry, many thanks for valuable comments. I have just corrected the article.

The light transmission shown in the article is for 8x42 FL model which was tested in our endurance test in 2012/2013. This means it is LotuTec version.

FL 32 was announced in September 2004.

Hi,

one more little error - the cutaway drawing of the Hensoldt Dialyt from 1905 is labelled as using Schmidt prisms but the image shows Abbe-Koenig prisms... Tried to write them a letter but unfortunately the contact address given is invalid...

EDIT: Nice - they seem to read this thread - the matter is fixed.

Regards,

Joachim

Last edited:
Nice article. When at the university, sometime end '80s, a friend bought a pair of Zeiss 10x40. I had a pair of Swift 10x50 and was green with envy ;-)

I didn't know the term back then, but that Dialyt 10x40 introduced me to AMD, which it had in massive amounts.

"In 1926 Hensoldt & Sons was taken over by Zeiss and for many years to come a lot of binoculars and spotting scopes were produced with both the Hensoldt and Zeiss logos." - Although Zeiss acquired majority ownership of Hensoldt in 1926, Hensoldt remained autonomous as far as manufacture of binoculars was concerned until 1963. I have never seen a binocular with both Hensoldt and Zeiss trademarks.

"In 1964, however, the first roof prisms Zeiss device was shown on the market - the Carl Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 B." - Zeiss' first roof prism that I know about was the A-K prismed Noctar 7x50 introduced in 1911 and they continued to make a number of roof prism models (f.ex. Dekar 10x50, Telita 6x18, Turita 8x24) some of them right up to WWII and numerous roof prismed inclined mounted binoculars during the war.

"The result is higher this time, more than less than 80% we got in the case of its predecessor. The transmission near 600 nm wavelength reaches close to 90%. What’s interesting, the colour rendering of the newer model seems to be a tad worse than that of the older version with inferior coatings." - Perhaps I'm mistaken but the article seems to be suggesting that the early Zeiss phase coatings increased light transmission and altered color rendition which if suggested is incorrect. Phase coatings improve contrast and resolution but do not affect light transmission and color rendition (other than subtle contrasts). The changes in light transmission and color bias would have been due to the introduction of the Zeiss T* anti-reflection multi-coatings.

Last edited:
"In 1926 Hensoldt & Sons was taken over by Zeiss and for many years to come a lot of binoculars and spotting scopes were produced with both the Hensoldt and Zeiss logos." - Although Zeiss acquired majority ownership of Hensoldt in 1926, Hensoldt remained autonomous as far as manufacture of binoculars was concerned until 1963. I have never seen a binocular with both Hensoldt and Zeiss trademarks.

It should say "In 1926 the Carl Zeiss foundation (already owner of Carl Zeiss Jena and the Schott glass works) aquired a controlling majority of Hensoldt & Sons which was allowed to operate more or less independently. In the years to come many optical devices were produced by both companies."

"In 1964, however, the first roof prisms Zeiss device was shown on the market - the Carl Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 B." - Zeiss' first roof prism that I know about was the A-K prismed Noctar 7x50 introduced in 1911 and they continued to make a number of roof prism models (f.ex. Dekar 10x50, Telita 6x18, Turita 8x24) some of them right up to WWII and numerous roof prismed inclined mounted binoculars during the war.

Maybe should call it Zeiss Oberkochen or Zeiss West here and in the future since the history of the east german VEB Carl Zeiss Jena is not mentioned (they did a 10x40 too, the Notarem 10x40 from the eighties).

"The result is higher this time, more than less than 80% we got in the case of its predecessor. The transmission near 600 nm wavelength reaches close to 90%. What’s interesting, the colour rendering of the newer model seems to be a tad worse than that of the older version with inferior coatings." - Perhaps I'm mistaken but the article seems to be suggesting that the early Zeiss phase coatings increased light transmission and altered color rendition which if suggested is incorrect. Phase coatings improve contrast and resolution but do not affect light transmission and color rendition (other than subtle contrasts). The changes in light transmission and color bias would have been due to the introduction of the Zeiss T* anti-reflection multi-coatings.

ack

Also "Zeiss Jena factories found themselves in the Soviet occupation zone which forced the part of the company situated in the Western Germany to start over almost from scratch." is not really correct as there was no part of Carl Zeiss Jena in western germany. There was only Hensoldt Wetzlar which was still a separate company under the Carl Zeiss foundation.
Actually after WWII some parts of Zeiss personel and the management were leaving Jena for Heidenheim in Wurttemberg and later Oberkochen when the US army retreated from Thuringia. These people went on to found Opton Optische Werke Oberkochen GmbH which was soon renamed into Zeiss-Opton Optische Werke Oberkochen GmbH and the simply Carl Zeiss.
After soviet army occupied Thuringia, large parts of the Carl Zeiss Jena works were taken to the Soviet Union along with key personel as war reparations. The rest was disappropiated and re-formed as a peoples enterprise called VEB Carl Zeiss Jena.

Joachim

Last edited:
"The changes in light transmission and color bias would have been due to the introduction of the Zeiss T* anti-reflection multi-coatings."
Upon reconsideration, color and possibly light transmission could also be affected by the type of reflective coating (i.e. aluminum, silver or dielectric) on S-P prismed binoculars.

LPT - thanks for the comments but:

1. for me "taking over" us quite the same as "acquiring majority". Additionally, it is clearly said that production of Hensoldt devices was contintued.

2. "In 1964, however, the first roof prisms Zeiss device was shown on the market - the Carl Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 B." It is the second sentence in the paragraph. The first one clearly states "West German Zeiss". So the context is clear...

3. "The result is higher this time, more than less than 80% we got in the case of its predecessor. The transmission near 600 nm wavelength reaches close to 90%. What’s interesting, the colour rendering of the newer model seems to be a tad worse than that of the older version with inferior coatings." None part of the text suggests that P* coatings influence the transmission. You are right that the difference in the transmission comes from switching from single-layer T-coatings to multilayer T* coatings.

I also found the article to be nice reading. This past 2yrs I have been looking for a in New old stock or mint condition Zeiss Classic 8x30 B/GA T*P . Many many years ago I looked thru a new pair at a local gun shop, really thought they were top/notch but unfortunately at that time spending that much for a pair of binoculars was not a priority for me. So I held back from purchasing a pair til a article similar to this one turned that little voice in my head on again telling me to try & find a pair to buy.

Great link and a great thread, thanks, I love my Zeiss bins, from my Oberkochen's, Jenna,s through to the Classic and FL.

I also found the article to be nice reading. This past 2yrs I have been looking for a in New old stock or mint condition Zeiss Classic 8x30 B/GA T*P .

I love my Zeiss Classic 8x30 B/GA T*P and the 7x42 version, prefer them to my FL, I was very lucky to find an 8x30 and a 7x42, both in mint condition boxed, I didn't get them cheap, but i'm pleased I bought them.

Arek thanks for the write up. I've always been a fan of the Classics and Dialyts.

Gcole, a couple of years ago I sold my 7x42 FL and held on to the 8x30 T*P Dialyt. Your search for a mint pair of 8x30's is well worth the effort. The phase coated Dialyts have very rich colors. I thought the FL's had a slight bias toward blue.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back