• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Age of my zeiss? (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

Is it possible for me to determine the age, date of manufacture for my zeiss conquest 10x40 based on the model number ?

Is it possible for me to determine the age, date of manufacture for my zeiss conquest 10x40 based on the model number ?

Hi,

from the model number probably only to a degree, but the serial number can certainly be matched against the records at Zeiss. Not sure if the data is publicly available though, like with Carl Zeiss Jena.

Joachim

Serial numbers for Zeiss binoculars are not consecutive. There are also different ranges of numbers for various products.

If you give me the serial number I will look it up for you.

Serial numbers for Zeiss binoculars are not consecutive. There are also different ranges of numbers for various products.

Thanks Gary - I suspected this for current Zeiss formerly known as Zeiss West/Oberkochen.

Joachim

Sorry to hijack the OP o:)

Could you please tell me the age of my Classic 10x40B TP's ? #2531039

Zeiss dialyt 7x42 t.p

Hello,

First post here.
Next week a new bino is coming in..Just wondering what the date of manufacture is: serial number 2123951 Germany..
Thanx anyway..

Hello,

First post here.
Next week a new bino is coming in..Just wondering what the date of manufacture is: serial number 2123951 Germany..
Thanx anyway..

Frank

Your Dialyt was made in 1997.
Info direct from Zeiss, Wetzlar.

Lee

Thanx u! Have them for a week now, just amazing, look brand new can't believe there over 20 years old! This is certainly the bino I always wanted, so happy..Now it's time to save again for a good spotting scope..

Hello! Lurked for a bit off and on, but finally joined. I recently bought some beat up Carl Zeiss 8x30B binoculars. I was curious about their age. I stumbled on this thread while attempting to find a method to determine that.

The only number I've found is 797242. There are a few things that make me wonder if they're fake. But, not sure why they would be. They're dirty and need some love. I'm trying to determine if they're worth the expense of having a binocular repairman clean, repair, and collimate.

If not, I will do it myself. But, if they're valuable (worth a few hundred in clean and spruced up condition) then I might spend a couple hundred on the work.

The images can only improve. So, since I already like them, I would like them even more at their best. I prefer not to have too much tied up in something that might not have universal appeal, just in case I ever do want to sell them to fund something else.

Any clue on year of manufacture and /or value? Thanks!

Hi Joker

How about some photos so we can see which 8x30B it is and what condition its in?
Working on the date of manufacture.

Lee

1919 is the year and I wouldn't worry about it being a fake. Since they're beat up, I assume cosmetically, you might never get back what you invest for a professional service, but you would have an outstanding set of binoculars that will last another 100 years given proper care.

I will post pics asap. Currently I only have phone access, and haven't figured out how to post photos yet.

My worry that they're fake stems from the fact that there is no model name on the rh cover plate, the hardware on the case for the strap appears to be plastic, and the 6-digit serial number. I read somewhere that 6 digits is indicative of a fake.

As soon as I can, I will post photos. I have some on here, but am dumber than my phone.

Thank you for the info thus far!

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

The rule that 6 digit serials are usually fakes (unless they're really old - like the 100 years from Foss) is for Carl Zeiss Jena bins. Since their 8x30 model was usually labelled Deltrintem 8x30 (or 8x30W), the moniker 8x30B makes it a Zeiss West model and there 6 digit serials are quite possible. You can recognize it by its short and stubby form, just like todays Nikon E2 8x30.

https://www.allbinos.com/1743-Carl_Zeiss_8x30_B-binoculars_specifications.html

Joachim

All of the info is very much appreciated. Thank you.

I'm shocked that they are that old. LoL

Here are a few photos... I hope

Attachments

• 20190309_163116-01.jpeg
    20190309_163116-01.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190309_163317-01.jpeg
    20190309_163317-01.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20190309_163425-01.jpeg
    20190309_163425-01.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20190309_163348-01.jpeg
    20190309_163348-01.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 99
It isn't that old. It's the first version of the West German Zeiss 8x30B with a late serial number from maybe around 1970-71. Hopefully Gary will notice this thread and provide an exact date. The post below discusses the two versions and their serial numbers.

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2612936&postcount=15

I bought a pair of those about 12 years ago. At that time Zeiss USA was able to completely clean and refurbish them, including supplying new rubber eyecups and didn't charge me anything. Your eyecups look to be in pretty good shape and happily your pair has the desirable prism housing strap lugs in addition the bridge slits that were the only strap attachment option in earlier production. I don't know what Zeiss's service department will or even can do with these old Porros now, but it's worth an inquiry. If Zeiss is no help then Cory Suddarth of Suddarth Optical Repair is the guy to contact.

Henry

Last edited:
OK. That explains the case strap (missing) hardware being plastic then. I will look up the Zeiss USA phone number and see what they have to say. That would be awesome if they'd actually do what they did to yours to mine.

If that's their standard, then I'm all in. Otherwise, I'm not out to take advantage of the company.

If I need to go with Suddarth Optical, are these little binos worth having close to $300 total in them? Again, I intend to keep them, but they have no sentimental value. I'd rather not have $300 invested in $100 binoculars. It's hard enough to keep my pretty better - half from thinking I'm nuts in my hobbies. LoL

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back