• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel ageing (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
Hi

Can someone confirm the age of this male Kestrel for me please? My instinct says first summer because of the retained brown (juvenile?) outer primaries, but the rest seems very advanced for a 2cy bird.

Photographed 17 July 2017 at Flamborough.

Brett

Attachments

• Male Kestrel.jpg
    Male Kestrel.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 97
Since no definite juvenile feathers (wing coverts) are visible, I would peg it as a full adult (3cy+).

A 2cy would probably be in a more blatant stage of moult now, but an adult breeding would have started moulting quite recently (after the young have fledged).

What you perceive as juvenile feathers are IMO more likely to be the worn and faded remiges of yeaster year in stark contrast to the brand new, emerging primaries.

Peter

Last edited:
Since no definite juvenile feathers (wing coverts) are visible, I would peg it as a full adult (3cy+).

A 2cy would probably be in a more blatant stage of moult now, but an adult breeding would have started moulting quite recently (after the young have fledged).

What you perceive as juvenile feathers are IMO more likely to be the worn and faded remiges of yeaster year in stark contrast to the brand new, emerging primaries.

Peter

Thanks Peter

Brett

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back