• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (1 Viewer)

saw those decoy gulls on a brief visit 0n the 20/03/17 very convincing and I had to check twice,only a couple of gulls about on that day too, the smew was present that day but was elusive as usual

Attachments

• platfrm.jpg
    platfrm.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 65
  • oyster.jpg
    oyster.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 71
  • hares.jpg
    hares.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 79
Yes, those decoy gulls are quite realistic, aren't they LOL

Managed to sort out some of my pictures now..... the oycs have been busy... wonder if they were the same pair LOL

Attachments

• Marsh Harrierbf.jpg
    Marsh Harrierbf.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Marsh Harrier malebf.jpg
    Marsh Harrier malebf.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Oystercatcherbf.jpg
    Oystercatcherbf.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Siskin & Great Titbf.jpg
    Siskin & Great Titbf.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 60
One of my best visits to Kinnordy today. Started off in the car park with a Lifer in Mark Caunt LOL It was great to meet you at last laddie. Oh and it was good to catch up with Gus (a month tick.. do I do them?) as well. So I got the news that the ibis was around.

Off to the Gullery Hide and another month tick in Mike! No sign of the ibis, nor the Wood Sandpiper. No Osprey in view, and no Marsh Harrier to be seen either. Oh well, settle down and await events. I did get the news that a Red Kite was sitting on the Osprey nest though and he was (year tick), just visible - the first one I've seen there for a few years.

Half an hour or so later it all kicked off! With Kite in the air, followed almost immediately by the male Marsh Harrier, who came hunting over the bog bean islands. Then the Osprey appeared, and after a few minutes chased the Cormorant (year tick) off his feeding post.

Shortly after all that activity the Wood Sandpiper (year tick) was found again.

A lovely guy from Balbeggie came in then and settled down. But it didn't seem to be too long before he found the ibis!!! Away to the left in amongst some Greylags.

Glossy Ibis Lifer!!!!

How beautiful he looked in the sunshine. We hardly ever managed to see his head and bill though, permanently feeding LOL. We lost him in the long grass for a while, but he eventually re-emerged then suddenly took flight, landing closer to us, but completely out of sight unfortunately.

What a session.

Not had a chance to check my pictures yet and I'm sure others have got better ones of the Ibis. But any picture of a Lifer is a good one, isn't it?

Yeah, it was Rich.

I suppose you have Kites and Ibis coming out of your ears down there! ;)

One of my best visits to Kinnordy today. Started off in the car park with a Lifer in Mark Caunt LOL It was great to meet you at last laddie. Oh and it was good to catch up with Gus (a month tick.. do I do them?) as well. So I got the news that the ibis was around.

Off to the Gullery Hide and another month tick in Mike! No sign of the ibis, nor the Wood Sandpiper. No Osprey in view, and no Marsh Harrier to be seen either. Oh well, settle down and await events. I did get the news that a Red Kite was sitting on the Osprey nest though and he was (year tick), just visible - the first one I've seen there for a few years.

Half an hour or so later it all kicked off! With Kite in the air, followed almost immediately by the male Marsh Harrier, who came hunting over the bog bean islands. Then the Osprey appeared, and after a few minutes chased the Cormorant (year tick) off his feeding post.

Shortly after all that activity the Wood Sandpiper (year tick) was found again.

A lovely guy from Balbeggie came in then and settled down. But it didn't seem to be too long before he found the ibis!!! Away to the left in amongst some Greylags.

Glossy Ibis Lifer!!!!

How beautiful he looked in the sunshine. We hardly ever managed to see his head and bill though, permanently feeding LOL. We lost him in the long grass for a while, but he eventually re-emerged then suddenly took flight, landing closer to us, but completely out of sight unfortunately.

What a session.

Not had a chance to check my pictures yet and I'm sure others have got better ones of the Ibis. But any picture of a Lifer is a good one, isn't it?
It was good to see you as well Delia, and glad you got the Ibis,,,it really is a stunner of a bird when the sun is shining on it.

Attachments

• IMG_8846.JPG
    IMG_8846.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 86
Yeah, even though we had rather distant views for the camera, looking through the scope he really was stunning.... fair gleaming in the sunshine.

That will be a day long lived in my memory!!

Started off in the car park with a Lifer in Mark Caunt LOL It was great to meet you at last laddie. Oh and it was good to catch up with Gus (a month tick.. do I do them?) as well.

Haha! Nice to meet you too Delia! Glad I could increase your "Birders Tick List".
Glad you got the Ibis. Wee cracker.
Happy birding!

Haha! Nice to meet you too Delia! Glad I could increase your "Birders Tick List".
Glad you got the Ibis. Wee cracker.
Happy birding!

Thanks Mark - it's always great to put a face to a name you've 'chatted' to, isn't it.

I'm glad my departure prompted the Ibis to return to the hide area, giving the watchers a good view. I just new that would happen.

I only I could have stayed another 20 minutes!

a couple of harrier shots from last Monday,the water was really quiet which is usual for this time of year but a black throated diver appeared shortly after I left,some squabbling tree sparrow youngsters at the feeder area were a nice surprise

Attachments

• harrier2.jpg
    harrier2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 74
  • harrier3.jpg
    harrier3.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 70
LOL Stuart - where's your reports then?;)

I didn't manage across in June and am now in South Wales for the next few weeks (although I should be in Norway looking at Nutcrackers!!:-C Emergency admission to hospital put paid to that dream).

What is happening at the reserve then. Guess no gulls nested on the raft?

Visited Kinnordy yesterday for the first time in ages. It was pretty quiet, but a female Marsh Harrier put in an appearance from the swamp hide, hunting over a cereal field beyond the loch. It had a green wing tag on the right wing and I wondered if this meant it was one of the local birds or a different bird passing through? The female in Delia's photo from April does not have a green wing tag and I am fairly sure the bird I saw was an adult as it had missing flight feathers.

How interesting, and well spotted too Paul.

I wonder if we can find out what's going on there?

Just back from a visit to Kinnordy.

I didn't get a picture of my two stars.... Little Grebe, who wouldn't really play ball by coming out into the open. And both Marsh Harriers have arrived. Gave some lovely hunting views, but a bit distant for my wee camera.

An Osprey was seen the other day, but I didn't spot one on this visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back