• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Eastern PA Bird ID (1 Viewer)

KerryL

Hello all,

I happened across this bird yesterday. Size and shape (and behavior?) fit European Starling, I think, but the coloring was different from what I would have expected. Unfortunately, I only have poor photographs to offer.

The small dark patch on the wing appeared deep blue, like a female mallard's wing bar. Didn't get a good look at the breast and I didn't see any other marks on the back or wings.

I'm tempted to write it off as a starling even though the colors don't match.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-Kerry

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_151725.jpg
    IMG_20170723_151725.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20170723_151723.jpg
    IMG_20170723_151723.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20170723_151730.jpg
    IMG_20170723_151730.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 46
Hi Kerry,

It's a young European Starling. Juveniles look quite different to the adult with pale facial surround a very distinctive feature.

Amazing how this species seems to pose a regular problem to American birders, I assume it's in the field guides?

No books with me in Russia to check

A

Last edited:
;)
Amazing how this species seems to pose a regular problem to American birders, I assume it's in the filed guides?

No books with me in Russia to check

A

Not so amazing. Lots of beginning birders in Canada/US (population 450 million). I assume the Dunnock is in the European Field Guides? ;)

Andy

Last edited:
Amazing how this species seems to pose a regular problem to American birders, I assume it's in the filed guides?

If the guides are filed away, then yes .... 8-P 3:)

Yep, Starling is in, but it's in a different part (between thrashers and pipits) well away from all the Icteridae species that they commonly consort with. I suspect that (and their juveniles being so different to adults) is why they escape notice in the guides.

I assume the Dunnock is in the European Field Guides?

Not really a valid comparison! Starling is an introduced species in N America, and it's a valid question as to whether some field guides might only include natives. As an example, the latest edition of the Collins [European] Bird Guide doesn't include Mandarin Duck or Rose-ringed Parakeet (both common ferals) in the main section (and has been much criticised for it).

;)

Not so amazing. Lots of beginning birders in Canada/US (population 450 million). I assume the Dunnock is in the European Field Guides? ;)

Andy

That's funny Andy, I very nearly wrote just that!

However, Dunnock is slightly more cryptic than a Starling which shouldn't really cause as many problems as they seem to, hence the Q about field guides, it being an introduces species, it wasn't a dig at American birders if that's what you thought?

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back