• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70th Birthday present (1 Viewer)

CB68

Hi everyone!

I confess that I know little to nothing about bird watching or binoculars but my dad is quite keen, though has never really had the time or opportunity. However, he turns 70 in a couple of weeks and we're hoping he might get around to retiring and enjoy some free time.

With this in mind, I've been looking to buy him some binoculars and have seen some Nikon Prostaff 7S 8x30 for £135. He has said he wants something fairly small to carry around, so 8x30 seems to be a reasonable compromise. The Nikons would pretty much be all of my budget.

Would they be a good buy, or am I missing something; can you recommend something better for the money?

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

The Prostaff 7S is ok, but not more. The main gripe is the very narrow field of fiew of 114/1000m - this is really like looking through a soda straw. Good 8x30 bins offer 140/1000m or thereabouts, the best are over 150.

I would have a closer look at the Sightron Blue Sky SII thread - it is close to your budget and will be a much better pair.

Another good option would be the Leupold Mojave BX-3 8x32 aka Cabela Guide 8x32.

Best offers for both are usually stateside though, so be prepared to pay customs and tax on receipt...

Joachim

Last edited:
Chris,

The Prostaff should fit the bill pretty well, but with a word of caution. The eye relief is only 15.4mm which is quite short if your dad wears glasses when using binoculars. It's OK with my thin frameless type but those with stronger prescriptions thicker frames might find the view restricted.

The Opticron Discovery 8x32 at £169 is a rather likable binocular with a wider view and a bit more eye relief (Opticron are based in Luton and have a very good after sales reputation, unlike some others :-C).

The Sightron Joachim mentions has quite a following amongst our US members but is rarely seen in the UK and usually expensive. It's produced by Kenko who supply it to various companies. I thought the Fujinon version was optically excellent but very expensive. I've not seen their own branded version, the Kenko ultraVIEW EX OP 8X32 DH II, but forum reports are also very positive. It only lists the eye relief as 15mm but if it's like the Fujinon, it's much more accommodating than the value suggests. It can be found for about £147.

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks to David for mentioning the Opticron - very small and light bins, ok field of view with 131/1000m, phase coated and good reviews... Sounds good and probably easier to get in UK.

Joachim

Thanks for all the replies!

I've looked into the options posted but many were either unavailable in the UK, or substantiallly more expensive than I can afford. I did find the Kenko version of the Sightron on a Netherlands website for €129 but from what I understand from the site, they don't ship to the UK.

I have found the Opticron for £138 delivered, so it's going to be between those and the Nikons, I just need to read a few reviews. :t:

Last edited:
Hi,

from what I understand of the kamera-express.nl site, they offer international shipping inside europe for 20,50€, payment options Visa, Master, paypal and some I don't understand...

https://www.kamera-express.nl/product/1220748795/kenko-ultraview-ex-op-8x32-dh-ii/

But I only speak german and not dutch...

But the Opticron is probably a good option too. The field of view of the Prostaff is really a deal breaker in my opinion - even an 8x42 (which tend to have a narrower fov is not acceptable with 114m).

Joachim

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!

I've looked into the options posted but many were either unavailable in the UK, or substantiallly more expensive than I can afford. I did find the Kenko version of the Sightron on a Netherlands website for €129 but from what I understand from the site, they don't ship to the UK.

I have found the Opticron for £138 delivered, so it's going to be between those and the Nikons, I just need to read a few reviews. :t:

I will add my vote for the Opticron.
Lee

Hi,

from what I understand of the kamera-express.nl site, they offer international shipping inside europe for 20,50€, payment options Visa, Master, paypal and some I don't understand...

https://www.kamera-express.nl/product/1220748795/kenko-ultraview-ex-op-8x32-dh-ii/

But I only speak german and not dutch...

But the Opticron is probably a good option too. The field of view of the Prostaff is really a deal breaker in my opinion - even an 8x42 (which tend to have a narrower fov is not acceptable with 114m).

Joachim

This is where I saw the Kenko pair:

https://www.digimaxx.nl/verrekijker-kijkers/kenko/kenko-ultraview-8x32-dhii/

A really good price but Chrome doesn't seem to be able to translate on my tablet. I can hazard a guess at some things but...I may just drop them an email to see if I get a reply in English (I know, an appalling state of affairs that I expect them to be able to speak English, but in fairness, I am trying to buy something from them! ;)).

I notice that they sell some items through the Amazon UK, so there might be a possibility.

Last edited:
Hi,

didn't find anything on international shipping on there... but asking in english won' t hurt...

In the Netherlands you have a fairly good chance that they will understand you...

Joachim

You may be right. The focussing is OK. If he's not used to porros, and needs really good eye relief then perhaps not. But they can always be returned (as far as I am aware!). In reality, buying binoculars for someone else is always awkward :)

Hi,

it would really be interesting to know if prospective owner will use glasses with the bins. Possible reasons are astigmatism, very different prescriptions w/o astigmatism for the eyes so diopter range is not enough or the fact that he can't be bothered to take off his glasses before using the bins (which I would hate too, if I needed glasses - knock on wood...).

If yes, 13mm of usable ER are a no-go, 15 can work (depends on prescription and frame model), over 16mm is usually ok.
Unfortunately the specs are not always comparable, some give usable ER, that is from the twisted/rolled down eyecup to the position of the exit pupil, some measure from the eye lens, which might recessed a millimeter or three, and then there's those who have a quite concave eye lens, which of course is measured in the middle...

Joachim

Take him out to the local box (binocular ) store and let him pick out the one that he likes.

I doubt that my family could blindly pick out a pair that I would love,
but would have to say I love it for the thought that counts.

edj

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone,

OK, so, my Dad does wear glasses but they're a fairly weak prescription (no astigmatism), and he may...or may not...be happy to take them off for viewing (he can be a bit set in his ways...). I've tried to find some local shops that sell binoculars but have failed completely, so may just have to buy unseen and untested, which will mean going for something with a fairly generous eye relief. Also, I'm pretty much tied to £140 as an absolute top budget, and with this in mind, the choice does seem to come down to the Opticron Discovery at £138, or, well, that's it!

The only thing I wondered, and it's more because I haven't had chance for a hands-on to check for weight and size, was whether I should go for something smaller and lighter than 8x32? Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi,

no, you certainly should not look at smaller options. Pocket bins are always a compromise and a pair of 8x30 will beat them thoroughly.

I would not consider pocket bins for birding - I will use them in a pinch though.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back