• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Contents insurance - nasty surprise! (1 Viewer)

mrpjdavis

Forgive me if this has been raised before, but it is still worth raising again. I have not bothered in the past with baggage cover on my holiday insurance because I thought I had adequate cover with my contents insurance.
Not so - theft from an unattended car has an absolute limit of £1000, regardless of "specified/high value items". That's about a quarter of the value of my bins, scope and tripod.
Pete

I think you will find that your car insurance contents is even less.

Our car was broken into about 10 years ago at Abernethy Forest and camera, lens and numerous other bits and pieces went [came to about £900] when we checked with the car insurance they were only going to give us about £150 if my memory is correct. Thankfully Ian had travel insurance through work and they paid out the whole amount as we could furnish them with receipts. We now have all cameras, lens on the house insurance and they are named items and on our policy it does cover for in the car.

Specified items

Forgive me if this has been raised before, but it is still worth raising again. I have not bothered in the past with baggage cover on my holiday insurance because I thought I had adequate cover with my contents insurance.
Not so - theft from an unattended car has an absolute limit of £1000, regardless of "specified/high value items". That's about a quarter of the value of my bins, scope and tripod.
Pete

I pay extra (not much though) as my bins alone are over £1000 - I was assured by my insurer ( a wide ranging national building society) that it was new for old, that it was covered whilst in the car, and that there wasn't a ceiling.

To give a non-UK angle on this one: our household insurer, and all others that I know that offers insurance on this island, only covers things while they physically are in the house. I cannot purchase an insurance that would cover in case there is a break-in into the car or (god forbid) someone robs us in person no matter what I am willing to pay for it.

The reason it is somewhat relevant is that I live on an island that was a UK territory until 30 years ago; one should not think that things were that different.

Niels

This is interesting. I've also got contents cover for 'named items' over £1000 (camera body, lens, scope etc) which is supposedly 'all risks' including accidental damage. Will be checking the small print rather carefully, since I've always made the same assumption about holiday insurance.

Would you mind naming the insurer in question, please? (PM is fine if you don't want to publicise... though it sounds like they should be named to make people aware!)

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back