• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sands - Thailand (1 Viewer)

RussB

Going for Gold
Hi there,
Just spent two weeks in Thailand watching some truly amazing birds.
A superb mix of the rare, the stunning and the near-mythical. Top target species was Spoon-billed sandpiper, and 4 were watched among hordes of other waders at the amazing Pak Thale salt pans.
Sketching these birds, I experienced both emotion and rare privelege. The thought that these are birds are probably amongst the last few remaining certainly made this an experience to behold. Trying to make decent sketches just makes the observation process much more personal. Anyway, perhaps I'm blathering on here, but Im sure you know what I mean. I could have spent a month sketching in this place.
Interestingly they showed, to me, a rather angular head and neck profile I've not seen in illustrations - perhaps a result of painting from photos and skins rather than life. I hope these rough efforts will encourage the more proficient of you guys to get out there and immotrtalise 'em on paper and raise awareness through great art.

More Thai stuff to come.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• Spooner 3.jpg
    Spooner 3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Spooner 2.jpg
    Spooner 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 67
  • Spooner1.jpg
    Spooner1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 76
Spooners - continued.

One of the hardest challenges was drawing the angle of the spatulate bill right - very difficult, especially on a rapidly-feeding bird. No doubt Lars got it right; his dream bird apparently. I'm in good comapny, then.
I'd like to thank Rockfowl for putting in the time locating these enigmatic birds. Check out his website soon for more amazing spooner stuff.

Cheers

Russ

Russ, one of my favorite birds, I'm going to carv one of these, one-day..perhaps a trip to tring & have a look at the skins there...thanks mark.

Superb Russ - congratulations and in some ways commiserations as I can feel your emotional turmoil that comes from seeing such truly wonderful birds, but also knowing that there may not be many more opportunities for any of us to share the experience. For what it's worth, your documentation and interpretation of the species is a fitting tribute - I think the absolute honesty and integrity with which you made the studies blazes like a beacon; the upside-down sketch shows just how involvd you were with recording the moment, and just how little you cared for such conventionalities as design and layout. Absolutely takes me to that place, Russ!
Colleen- 'Rockfowl' is Mark Andrews; ecological tour leader and toppermost bird artist. Website: http://www.smandrews.com

Quite an opportunity, and as Tim says a fitting tribute. I could imagine the difficulty you must have had in drawing a species living so close to the edge. You made great use of your opportunity.

And thanks for the link Tim!

Last edited:
Great link, Mark - adorable little bugger isn't it? Particularly taken by that shoulder smudge of soft umber fading into the beautiful whiteness of the underside. Smashing footage and some rather splendid still images underneath, too.

Well Russ, having watched you busily sketching these out there, you know my thoughts.

To add weight to these excellent sketches, here's a video I took of the same bird, filmed at the same time as Russ was tackling the awkward but wonderful shapes - http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/spoon-...her-long-billed-individual-actively-feeding-n

Thanks for the plug Russ and Tim's kind words and link./QUOTE]

More marvellous: what a fine start to the day. There's an extra-long bit of face cutlery on this one alright- I looked at Russ's sketch last night and had that thought and lo and behold here it is- the sketches are bang on.

Wow, seems I struck a chord here. Very inspirational. More Thai stuff coming very soon to keep with the eastern flavour.

Cheers

Russ

great link, really if I didn't have the vid wouldn't be sure they exist, and Russ made it up, of course he's got it exactly

Too right that's got to be a an absolute b*gger to get the bill shape right and you've done it with what looks like ease. Beautiful.

Mike

Hey Russ,

Just after you left, I had the pleasure of occasionally bumping into David Sibley studying the old spatulate wonders, he put some time in as well, so for your interest and others, David's take on the birds - http://www.sibleyguides.com/2010/02/identification-of-spoon-billed-sandpiper/#more-1687

Spatulate wonders indeed Mark.....!

ps...gotta get back to see more of these blighters...before it's toooo late like....

pps...glad i didn't 'screw up' like i did with the SBC's in not goin to see them soon enough....;) Still....'we' won't mention that again will we..?

These are great, Mark. I find looking at other people's sketches fascinating, irrespective of artistic ability. I see the bold, unfussy style very clearly here, and how this somehow shows through in his fine illustrations. Pity he wasn't there earlier; we could have swapped tips, ah, ah!

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back