• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax DCF BC 9x32 (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I just found this while surfing through a few websites....

http://www.pentaximaging.com/sport-optics/products/DCF_BC_9x32#!product-specs

I posted something in the Sightron Blue Sky thread as the two appear to be practically identical binoculars. Specs are below....

DCF BC features high-performance optics, a waterproof construction allowing fresh-water rinsing, and an ergonomic body design for a comfortable hold. An additional coating (silver-deposited) is applied to the auxiliary prisms to further enhance light transmittance. Combining outstanding optical performance and value with a compact, lightweight, carry-anywhere body, these new models may be used in a wide range of applications including nature observation, bird-watching, sports viewing, hunting and more. The new DCF series features an open-bridge configuration for a firm, comfortable hold. Protected with a rubber housing that features slight indentations for the user’s thumbs, each model offers stable, fatigue-free observation, even while users continuously track a moving subject during extended observation.

Objective Lens 3 elements, 2 groups

Focusing Range 2.5m to infinity (8.2’ to infinity)

Lens 5 elements, 3 groups

Prism Phase Coating

Sub Prism Silver Deposition

Objective Lens Diameter 32mm

Specifications 9x

Apparent Field Of View 55.6 degrees

Real Field Of View 6.7 degrees

Field Of View At 1000m 117m

Coating Full-Multi-Coating

Binocular Type Roof Prism, Center Focusing, Internal Focus, Open Bridge Design

Field Of View At 1000y 351’

Exit Pupil 3.6mm

Eye Relief 16mm

Relative Brightness 13

Diopter Adjustment Range +/- 4m

Eye Width Adjustment Range 56-74mm (2.2 – 2.9”)

Eyepiece Ring Helicoid (5 stops)

Body Color Dark Green with Black

Height Width 138 x 128mm (5.4 x 5.0”)

Thickness 52mm (2.0”)

Weight 500g (17.6 oz.)

Waterproof Yes (JIS Class 6, submersible to 1m, nitrogen-filled)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 190
Interesting binocular. Only $270.00 at Eagle Optics. Camera Land doesn't list it but has the 9 x 42. It really should sell OK at this price. FOV is very good when compared to any 10 x 32. ER is OK. Very light weight. I wonder what the edges are like and how it controls flare?

Bob

I have them and find them very good, nice to hold very lightweight better to look through than my little Leica ultravid 8x20s not better optically just a little bigger so easer to hold to the eye, well worth a look, much better than the price would suggest, pentax have done a very good job at a very good price, would be nice to see a test to see how they compare to the more expensive ones!

Interesting binocular. Only $270.00 at Eagle Optics. Camera Land doesn't list it but has the 9 x 42. It really should sell OK at this price. FOV is very good when compared to any 10 x 32. ER is OK. Very light weight. I wonder what the edges are like and how it controls flare?

Bob

Camera Land has the 9x28 in stock, and if you say the secret words (Black Friday/Holiday Special), you will get them for only $159.99. That's a savings of $89.01 off the regular price of $249 and $110.01 lower than the EO price quoted above. So wadda waitin' for? $1.75/gal gas prices after the euro collapses? The 2012 Apocalypse? Penn State to win the Honda Insight Bowl?

Brock
You are posting on the 9x28 LV where the prices/discussion above are for the 9x32BC which I don't see on CLNY's site. I bought a pair of the 9x28 LV's several weeks back for $89 and got rid of them as I like the little 8x28 Excursions much better optically - and they are only $70. Only thing the 9x28 Pentax had going for it was it was a little lighter.

In a previous post the 9x32BC's were available for $218 from the following and at that time Amazon had them for $220

http://www.wydeals.com/products/Pentax-62597-9x32-DCF-BC-Binocular-%2d%2d-3LRPO004XCYF6D99 .html

Tom

Brock
You are posting on the 9x28 LV where the prices/discussion above are for the 9x32BC which I don't see on CLNY's site. I bought a pair of the 9x28 LV's several weeks back for $89 and got rid of them as I like the little 8x28 Excursions much better optically - and they are only $70. Only thing the 9x28 Pentax had going for it was it was a little lighter.

In a previous post the 9x32BC's were available for $218 from the following and at that time Amazon had them for $220

http://www.wydeals.com/products/Pentax-62597-9x32-DCF-BC-Binocular-%2d%2d-3LRPO004XCYF6D99 .html

Tom

Caught that, huh? I figured people would be too worried about the coming Apocalypse to notice. :)

The 9x28 lower price isn't on CL site, I'm signed up for the store's newsletters.

So you bought a pair (as in two?) 9x28 LV for $89? I wonder what you sold them for? You must make good money with your sideline optics business, though unless you have some price-bots, you probably spend a lot of time trolling for "hot deals" on the 'net and "time is money".

I never cared for compact roofs due to their small size, extreme light weight, and narrowish FOV, even though 28mm is cutting it close aperture-wise to midsized bins, but even there, the LV's FOV is "compact". As the new BC shows, when you move up to midsized, your horizons widens.

I'm amazed at how saturated the market is for low priced bins even though many are actually re-badged clones, not new models. I guess more people than just you and Frank must be buying them or they wouldn't keep coming out with new clones every few months.

Optical quality has definitely improved at the lower mid-price level, but neither choice of narrowish FOVs with decent edges or WFs with poor edges is appealing to me.

My "premium" Nikon porros have spoiled me. You get your cake and eat it too with the EIIs and SEs at Entenmann's prices.

I can't afford to pay multiples more for roofs that are as good or a bit better, but I can't seem to settle for the two choices cited above at the mid-price level.

The niche I've got my eye on is the second tier (except for Pentax). There's still plenty of room to grow. But as far as Pentax, their top line is hopelessly out of date. I can't see how they can sell a $999 Pentax 8x43 ED with only 6.3* FOV when you can buy an 8* FOV Zen Ray 8x43 ED2 for $279.99 from Camera Land (also a Holiday Special).

Brock

Brock
By pair, I mean one bino (2 barrels). And yes, I have a good time with my hobby, but no, I don't spend much time trolling.

The 9x28 LV's have too small of a sweetspot, too narrow a FOV and poor edges for my tastes, but others seem to like them. But they are light and well built. Guess I'm spoiled by the 8x28 Excursions with their 417 ft FOV and $70 price tag despite their slight color bias.

I was looking around for another good 8x42 after dumping the last pair of 8x42 Legend Ultra HD's. After 3 pairs I still can't figure out how RJM can rave about them so much. While I like the 8x36 & 10x42, I have always thought the 8x42 was the worst of the lot. I saw the CLNY deal on the Zen ED2 8x43's at $279, but wound up buying the 8x42 Kruger Calderas for $213 off Amazon after some counsel with a couple of other members. Plus they are smaller, lighter and wider FOV than the Zens.

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back