• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX-85, DCB II and Fuji X100 (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

Hi all,

First trip out with this kit, and I still have a LOT to learn, but early signs are promising! I experimented with another user's suggestion of using a step-up ring to screw the camera straight onto the 52mm thread that holds the scope's rubber eyecup in place, and it does work, but the thread 'stops' with the camera at a very inconvenient angle. Unscrewing to a more useful angle does also work, but introduces a bit of 'floppiness' to the system, so I think I'll stick with the DCB II for now.

I don't know if it'll be possible to see after scaling the attachment to fit, but on the original of the image below I can see a mosquito's legs, shot from about 25m!

It's a lot of work and faffing about, and a good way to spoil a great day's birdwatching, but it's also a lot of fun when it works.

Attachments

• greylag-3.jpg
    greylag-3.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 274
Nice result Al, my combo of the ATX85 plus tls apo plus Samsung NX2000 is driving me friggin crazy:C
I tried just about every setting possible, and it just doesn't reproduce a sharp long distance image. Macros are allright, but it seems imposiible to focus on objects far away.
When hand holding my samsung s4 to the scope to make a photo, the result is better than with the nx2000. Really annoying. Maybe this combination of camera and tls is a unlucky one.

Kind regards,

Gijs

Uhu74: could the problem of unsharp images be caused by shutter shock? This is a known problem with mirrorless camera's when shooting at slow shutter speeds (1/200 - 1/250 or slower). I had it with my Panasonic untill I switched from mechanical to electronic shutter.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back