• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (9 Viewers)

I've only been birding for about a month, so the life birds are coming in fast and furious. Two days ago I saw an Eastern Bluebird and a Cedar Waxwing.

A very nice weekend trip in Moldova brought me a couple of great lifers:
- Great White Pelican, a phantasic sight, more than 500 circling overhead
- Sprosser
- White-winged Tern
- Red-footed Falcon, wonderfull view of hunting males, awesome!
- Pied Wheatear, a pair, also very beautiful bird!

I was delighted recently to finally pick up a lesser spotted woodpecker and in my hometown too. I am sure most birders have a few commoner species that they have not caught up with (unless they have a really good national total) and these are usually species that are easy enough to see but require a special visit to a special location. Lesser spotted woodpeckers can be notoriously difficult to see 'even if you know where they are' (to quote Derek Gruar of the RSPB) so it was particularly nice to locate birds that gave tremendous views.

My new lifer was spotted in my fish pond. It was a black heron, the ones you see on David Attenborough shows umbrella feeding. He was doing it in my pond. It was one of those fist pumping, "HOO-yeah" moments at I love about birdwatching.

Two more today. I think my lifers will be slowing down soon enough. I realize these are pretty mundane sightings. :p

- House Finch
- Brown-Headed Cowbird

Mandarin duck, on Wednesday. One of those species that I've seen any number of times in situations where I couldn't be sure it was wild, but this one was at Virginia Water so I think I'm safe enough!

Also added great crested grebe to my local park list last Sunday. It's not a park that gets many "proper" wild waterfowl so that was quite exciting.

Off the mark for this year with the Western Orphean Warbler at Hartlepool Headland - yippee!

No. 530 in the British Isles by John's rules, which are closer to BOU than to IQ40.

John

Golden oriole, Germany (East of Frankfurt), mid May. I was visiting family and a lot of birding had to be done in the guise of family walks. I heard oriole almost every day I was there, but tantalisingly hadn't got anywhere near getting a glimpse.

On the final morning I annouced I'd go into the woods and not come back out until I'd seen one. Ironically I only managed views (and they were quite good) of a female. The male was singing, but she'd clearly got sight of me making my way through very wet grass and was warning of my presence. At a later point I heard two males call, and two females giving warning calls at the same time! Didn't see any of those four birds.

All trees in full leaf certainly made this quite a tough job. Other species I don't get to see that often: Middle Spotted Woodpecker, adding Tree Sparrow to my German list, seeing a Hobby take a small bird (in and out very quickly without fuss - an issue of being at the right place at the right time), Serins singing, Black Redstart in the garden, red-backed shrike (seen only the once, must have relocated).

Andrea

Yesterday's Acadian Flycatcher in the Pisgah National Forest nearby here in western North Carolina USA. Great looks but I was sure glad savvy birders who knew the songs were there!

My life birds are these guys, the bush turkeys (I don't know their real names). I live in the bush and they live around my house so I now see them every day, whereas I used to see them in books before. They nest near by house and make huge mounds and I have had the delight of seeing the young hatch and scramble out of the ground. They are like a ball of fluff. I've seen them defend themselves against the goannas. And I find them very, very friendly.

Attachments

• Bush turkey on makeshift bridge1.JPG
    Bush turkey on makeshift bridge1.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 44
  • On my balastrade.JPG
    On my balastrade.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 39
  • getting a feed on the balastrade.JPG
    getting a feed on the balastrade.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 38
Hi, Just added Marsh Warbler a couple of days ago. Rainham Marsh London

only birding 3 years and 295 on the life list now.

briansbirding.blogspot.co.uk

I should add that's my British life list, having visited America a dozen times, Spain, France and Germany too my world list would be quite a bit bigger if I could remember everything I've seen.....Bald Eagle would be the best of the bunch though.

briansbirding.blogspot.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back