• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto/Bogen 393 (1 Viewer)

mike nesbitt

I have recently purchased one and it looks good.
However, when I attach my 400f5.6 to it, the 1/4 inch screw on the QR plate only penetrates the tripod mount on the lens by about two full threads.
This is probably just about OK for this lens but it's still scary.
The problem is that I am about to buy a 600f4 and would be very reluctant to attach it using the same screw.
Has anyone else come across this and what were your thoughts?

Many thanks. Mike.

Never had an issue myself (500/4.5 & 600/4), always seemed to be enough length on the screws and taken up fully by the tripod foot... I tended to use 2 screws (1/4 & 3/8) into the tripod foot for security.
cheers,
Andy

Andy,

Are you saying that there are two options on the 600f4 tripod collar for mounting to the QR plate,3/8 and 1/4 and that both of these can be used together. I have to ask because this isn't the case on the 400f5.6.

many thanks, Mike

Andy,

Are you saying that there are two options on the 600f4 tripod collar for mounting to the QR plate,3/8 and 1/4 and that both of these can be used together. I have to ask because this isn't the case on the 400f5.6.

many thanks, Mike

Yep, most large lenses aimed at tripod use have at least 2 sockets. In the case of the Canon 600/4 foot, there's one 1/4 and one 3/8 (you can use a thread converter to make it 2x 1/4). Using two prevents any rotation/twist... although I now use a third-party foot with built-in arca swiss plate, but that's for wimberley use.
cheers,
Andy

Thanks for that, I'm ok with it now. Previously I fastened the lens to a Slik D3 and you seemed to be tightening the fixing for ever. But at least you knew it was there to stay.
I was concerned with the length of the fixing Screw on the 393, but if I can use a 3/8 as well, that's fine.
The screw is taken up fully by the tripod foot........ there's just not much screw there!

Many thanks, Mike.

Last edited:
Previously I fastened the lens to a Slik D3 and you seemed to be tightening the fixing for ever.

Ah yes, I well remember the D3 head and the underside tightening that went on forever (wing bolt and locking collar) ...Hooray for QR plates :t:

cheers,
Andy

I have recently purchased one and it looks good.
However, when I attach my 400f5.6 to it, the 1/4 inch screw on the QR plate only penetrates the tripod mount on the lens by about two full threads.
This is probably just about OK for this lens but it's still scary.
The problem is that I am about to buy a 600f4 and would be very reluctant to attach it using the same screw.
Has anyone else come across this and what were your thoughts?

Many thanks. Mike.

Don't worry about it.

Any really big lens will give you multiple screw options. I use three screws on my 100mm Pentax spotter - 2x1/4" and 1x3/8".

Also, if you are really worried about having proper penetration, remember there is nothing that says you can't use standard off he shelf 1/4-20 screws available at any hardware store. Just get the proper length that suits your purposes. They work fine.

Pic of my 1000mm astro scope set up with three standard off the shelf 1/4"-20 hex head bolts.

SF

Attachments

• IMG_2480b.jpg
    IMG_2480b.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back