• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone used Alpen WINGS ED 8x42 (1 Viewer)

I saw an Alpen Wings once at a Sportsman's Warehouse. It was a sub $200 binocular that was just OK. The Wings ED should be better. From what I can see from the spec sheets this is a fair bit shorter than the ZEN & Others that have been reviewed. The sheet says the Wings ED is 5.5" long. The ZEN is 6.5". So there seems to be at least that difference. The regular Wings was not impressive. But it would be interesting to see one of the ED versions.

The idea that it is an open bridge version of the new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD occurs to me, but that certainly does not acount for the $100 more for the Alpen Wings ED. It also looks like it could be the same basic enclosure of the Bushnell Excursion EX. But speculation often fall short of reality, so who knows? The spec sheet also notes the prism mirrorring as being "non-metalic", but they also make no claim of dielectric coating.

Last edited:
I saw an Alpen Wings once at a Sportsman's Warehouse. It was a sub $200 binocular that was just OK. The Wings ED should be better. From what I can see from the spec sheets this is a fair bit shorter than the ZEN & Others that have been reviewed. The sheet says the Wings ED is 5.5" long. The ZEN is 6.5". So there seems to be at least that difference. The regular Wings was not impressive. But it would be interesting to see one of the ED versions.

The idea that it is an open bridge version of the new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD occurs to me, but that certainly does not acount for the $100 more for the Alpen Wings ED. It also looks like it could be the same basic enclosure of the Bushnell Excursion EX. But speculation often fall short of reality, so who knows? The spec sheet also notes the prism mirrorring as being "non-metalic", but they also make no claim of dielectric coating.

The enclosure does look familiar. I don't remember where I might have seen it before.

Check out my comments in the other thread about the Wings ED. Someone did a comparison between it and the Zen ED over on Archerytalk.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back