• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad Day (1 Viewer)

Wyandotte

The grouse who visited our apple trees almost every evening has been found dead by me smack in front of our garage window this morning. Its body is still there and I can only assume it flew into the window, but am not really sure, since this large window is old, streaked, dirty, etc.

What could I have done to prevent this collision, if that's what it was? Also, do you think a fox or coyote would eat a dead bird? I don't want it to go to waste.

I feel awful about this.

The grouse who visited our apple trees almost every evening has been found dead by me smack in front of our garage window this morning. Its body is still there and I can only assume it flew into the window, but am not really sure, since this large window is old, streaked, dirty, etc.

What could I have done to prevent this collision, if that's what it was? Also, do you think a fox or coyote would eat a dead bird? I don't want it to go to waste.

I feel awful about this.

Wy, I just spent a considerable amount of money to cover most of the windows in the front of my A-frame to help remove some of the 'collision' danger that the glass represents - and just a few weeks after the job was completed, two yellow shafted flickers simultaneously smacked into the glass, both breaking their necks. This was extraordinary, as the flickers are not often seen anywhere near the house. So the sad truth is, no matter how one tries, there will always be a few individuals that will meet their demise at a window (they just see the reflection of trees and sky, and fly into it). You can read about it here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=190353

Sometimes, if one gets to them quickly enough, and the collision was hard enough to cause concussion, but not cause immediately fatal results, one can just hold the injured bird long enough to allow it to recover, without losing its body heat. I've had several opportunities to accomplish that - and although I'm not happy that glass has such an effect, I have been delighted to have the opportunity to closely view some lovely birds. As to the 'recycling' question, I always put any creature that does not survive out on the top of a fence post, if it's daytime - and then 'caw' for the crows. They usually catch on quickly, come to the call, and take the offering. I will say, however, with the two flickers, it was not the crows, but the raccoons, that removed them (I know, because they left the wings of one behind ...). The fox and or coyote will certainly be as resourceful as the raccoons, so by all means, put the dead grouse in an area where they will find it. C'est la vie.

Attachments

• Nocturnal scavengers.jpg
    Nocturnal scavengers.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the death of your visitor. It's nice to have a resident bird and it's easy to become attached. I had a California Thrasher that used to hang outside my dining room sliding door and eat the dog's food. I'm afraid he perished in the 2007 wildfires that destroyed most of our canyon because he hasn't been seen since.
You can buy those new easy peel stickers and put those on the window, they might help a little.
Sue

Thanks to both of you for all your information and your kindess. As it is now 11 hours later, I am feeling a bit better and in no small part to your words. So glad the birdforum is here when these things happen.

Our house windows have venetian blinds and no birds have as yet died from plunging into them.

It seems to me that "the bigger the bird the bigger the crash" and more likely a death. I see little finches, etc. hit windows and they just fly away from it.

I once had a heart-stopping (for me, not the birds!) event, with the glass front - a light tap followed immediately by a tremendous 'thump' - I actually think I 'felt' it as much as heard it! I ran to the glass doors - and there on the deck (with 'stars' actually swirling around its head - or so it seemed ...) was a hawk! Northern Harrier - my guess was, he chased a smaller bird, which hit the glass first, but not hard - and the harrier in hot pursuit could not quite swerve soon enough to miss the impact. I was nonplussed - you could have knocked me over with a feather - first opening the glass door, thinking, "WOW! I'm gonna get the chance to HOLD a HAWK whilst it recovers!!" Then, thankfully, 'calmer voices in my head prevailed', and I realised I dare not reach for the hawk unless I didn't value my fingers, arms, and possibly nose, ears, or eyes! I turned back to the room, trying to decide which to grab - the heavy leather fireplace 'gloves' hanging from the tool rack on the hearth - or the camera. I opted for the gloves - but by the time I had them on, and opened the glass doors, the hawk was already up on its feet, again. I was mesmerised - just stood there, watching him. It was like a cartoon - he staggered a bit, opened his wings, then closed them again, and walked a bit more. Finally, he pushed off the deck, and was back in the air. He took a spot on one of the sweet gum tree branches, and just sat for a while. Bet he had a heck of a headache! On the window, he left the 'dust ghost' from his collision - and just below that 'ghost' there were a few small grey breast feathers, as would be seen after a titmouse or similar size bird hits. The smaller birds do indeed seem to hit with less fatal impact - and I bet the little bird in this event had a whale of a tale to tell, when he got back to his companions!

Er...it's a good thing you did not reach for that hawk.

Listen to this - I have a few backyard chickens. Around November I lock them up in their cozy house for the winter. However, on warmer days they will escape from the coop when I go to feed them. So, one day I found the body of a hen really close to our house, dead apparently from natural causes - I would say old age. I didn't feel like removing her at the moment.

The very next day I saw a hawk eating my dead hen. Pls don't ask me why - it doesn't make sense - but I couldn't bear this and I tried to chase the hawk away. I stood right beside it and jumped up & down and yelled and still it waited some time to move.

Now, all I can conclude is that that was one mighty hungry bird.

Thanks, Sue & Jenny, for your understanding words.

Well, it is 24 hours later and I still haven't gone to the area behind the garage where I found the grouse's body. But I guess I have to, and will pick it up and put it up on the berm behind the house.

Usually, I do a little ceremony with dead animals I find. Is anyone else here given to these sorts of soothing things?

Sorry to hear that. I think it works if you close your curtains or put net curtains up. As I am sure you are well aware, the problem arises from the bird thinking the window is just air.

The problem with closing curtains is that it enhances the 'reflection' effect - from the outside, the trees and sky are reflected off the glass, which is why the birds fly into the glass. Of course, if you were to hang curtains on the outside ... that would work! Birds are less likely to strike multi-paned windows than they are to strike 'modern' windows with wide expanses of glass.

I'm too pragmatic to find any sort of 'ceremony' soothing, where dead wildlife creatures are concerned. I'll help any creature; and I do bury companion critters. But with wildlife, once they're dead, they are put in a convenient spot for some other wildlife to find, and use.

The problem with closing curtains is that it enhances the 'reflection' effect - from the outside, the trees and sky are reflected off the glass, which is why the birds fly into the glass. Of course, if you were to hang curtains on the outside ... that would work! Birds are less likely to strike multi-paned windows than they are to strike 'modern' windows with wide expanses of glass.

I'm too pragmatic to find any sort of 'ceremony' soothing, where dead wildlife creatures are concerned. I'll help any creature; and I do bury companion critters. But with wildlife, once they're dead, they are put in a convenient spot for some other wildlife to find, and use.

Yes, indeed. But one can ask the Almighty to receive their spirits into his kingdom prior to putting their carcasses out in the open. As I do. As for companion creatures, I make nice graves for them. I have lost count of the cats I have buried around here. :eek!:

Sorry to hear about the death of your grouse friend. Finding a bird under a window is always a sad experience. Unfortunately, there is no 100% guaranteed prevention.
Aside from screens, shade cloths, window decals, feeder placements or whatever else you do, if and when you have another bird strike a window and you are there to find it alive, please set it on a non-terry cloth towel in a dark box. Put the box a quiet area inside and call a wildlife rehabilitator. These birds often have some internal injuries and head trauma and really benefit from some medicine and proper treatment. Usually, you can maintain contact with the rehabber so as to know the progress of the bird. I know I like to release birds back where they were found, so I call the person who found them (unless it is something like a cat-caught bird at someone's feeder, then I release elsewhere, usually with others of the same kind). Your local veterinary clinics usually have phone #'s of wildlife rehabilitators in your area.
Hopefully, however, you won't have another window strike!

Our house windows have venetian blinds and no birds have as yet died from plunging into them.

Venetian blinds would assist in cases where birds are hitting windows because they can see through them, ie are trying to fly to the locality they can see on the other side. However, in many cases, the outer surface of windows act as effective mirrors, reflecting sky or trees, etc ...in these cases, the bird is not actually seeing through the window and thus would not see venetian blinds or deterrent on the inner surface - if this is the case with the garage window that you talked of, you may wish to drape a net (not a type that birds can get tangled in) or something down the outer surface to help.

Venetian blinds would assist in cases where birds are hitting windows because they can see through them, ie are trying to fly to the locality they can see on the other side. However, in many cases, the outer surface of windows act as effective mirrors, reflecting sky or trees, etc ...in these cases, the bird is not actually seeing through the window and thus would not see venetian blinds or deterrent on the inner surface - if this is the case with the garage window that you talked of, you may wish to drape a net (not a type that birds can get tangled in) or something down the outer surface to help.

I never thought of that. Tks for the suggestion. I happen to have some old stuff hanging around that can be used.

Sorry to hear about the death of your grouse friend. Finding a bird under a window is always a sad experience. Unfortunately, there is no 100% guaranteed prevention.
Aside from screens, shade cloths, window decals, feeder placements or whatever else you do, if and when you have another bird strike a window and you are there to find it alive, please set it on a non-terry cloth towel in a dark box. Put the box a quiet area inside and call a wildlife rehabilitator. These birds often have some internal injuries and head trauma and really benefit from some medicine and proper treatment. Usually, you can maintain contact with the rehabber so as to know the progress of the bird. I know I like to release birds back where they were found, so I call the person who found them (unless it is something like a cat-caught bird at someone's feeder, then I release elsewhere, usually with others of the same kind). Your local veterinary clinics usually have phone #'s of wildlife rehabilitators in your area.
Hopefully, however, you won't have another window strike!

I have taken small, common birds to the wildlife rehab but I wonder if they really do take care of them or just euthanize them. I mean, there are millions of sparrows, chickadees & finches and I suspect the rehab people would want to put their effort into more "glamourous" birds. When I see their operation on the TV news, it seems there's nothing but hawks, eagles, etc. there being cared for.

What is wrong with a terry cloth towel?

Thank you very much for your kindness and concern. o:)

I have taken small, common birds to the wildlife rehab but I wonder if they really do take care of them or just euthanize them. I mean, there are millions of sparrows, chickadees & finches and I suspect the rehab people would want to put their effort into more "glamourous" birds. When I see their operation on the TV news, it seems there's nothing but hawks, eagles, etc. there being cared for.

What is wrong with a terry cloth towel?

Thank you very much for your kindness and concern. o:)

One of our local re-habbers came to visit our local Audubon chapter. They made it clear that they rehab the dickey birds just as vigorously as they do the glamorous birds. In fact, they brought a hummingbird that they re-habbed.

Mind you, the raptors do certainly get the "wow factor" and tend to be more trainable as classroom visitors. For example, they had a kestrel that they taught to call on command with hand signals.

I had a friend who used to volunteer at a local wildlife rehab center in Colorado, he showed me around there once and frankly I was amazed at the time and effort spent on everyday creatures like robins and even, IIRC, squirrels - things like handfeeding groups of baby birds with eyedroppers every couple of hours, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back