• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Gull (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

The attached photographs were taken yesterday at Port Mahon, Delaware, USA.

I have checked all the applicable juvenile and first/second winter gulls in my guide books. Nothing seems to fit. It is probalby there, but I just do not see it.

Attachments

• IMG_4648.jpg
    IMG_4648.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4649.jpg
    IMG_4649.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4650.jpg
    IMG_4650.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 108
All the photos are very worn juv/1st w American race Herring Gulls, moulting into 1st summer (2 calendar yr plumage).

Cheers,
Andrew

I will have to non-concur and say Ring-billed Gull juvie. The plumage is not dark enough for a Herring Gull and the bill is dark on the entire bill for a H. Gull juvie, but not on the Ring-billed. Also, the legs are not pink as on the H. Gull. :brains:

Bob, I agree with Andrew and Jan on this one ( :eek!: ), the bird is a first summer (2nd calendar year) Herring Gull. Young gulls in partiuclar can wear out the colors/patterns on their feathers before they molt them, turning black to brown and brown patterned to white. General field guides wouldn't have room for all the variations!

Ring-billed of this age are sleeker, smaller billed, with grayer mantles and gray greater coverts, and the bill and legs are each fine for Herring of this age.

Agree with '1st summer' Larus smithsonianus also.
Interesting to see that the eye is rather pale for a 2cy gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back