• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Thanks Graham.

Windows Defender was the problem! Now downloaded GWX and got rid of the W10 icon on the task bar.

Should I also click on anything else?

OK I have now clicked on the four options at the bottom.

One of them did a rather unexpected re-start with no warning. However, all seems well at the moment.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

The defender was defending too well :)
Sounds like your sorted.
The manual page I linked to above explains all the buttons setting in clear non tecy language so you shouldn't have had any worries.
The good thing is if you ever decide you want the update everything can be undone in a couple of clicks.
Nifty little tool.

Grahame said:
explains all the buttons setting in clear non tecy language

ummm.... you don't kn ow me Grahame!! All computer instructions are confusing to me! I read them, go away for a week, try reading them again, leave it and read again. Then maybe I'll try.

Didn't really have that much time with this little problem.

You're talking to someone who even made a mess of an Amazon order because I didn't really understand the description and order instructions! They eventually agreed with me that it was a bit confusing.

Whilst onlie last night, IE 11 just died completely.

I changed over and used both Chrome and Firefox with no problem and couldn't figure out why IE was out of action. I restarted my computer and found that W10 had been trying to install istelf in the background and was making IE unavailable.

Is it acceptable even legal, that Windows can try to do this without consent?

Andy

Dunno the details Andy, but you probably 'consented' way back in the summer. When you had the option to download the files, but didn't actually install at the time.

That's what I did. I don't remember reading the agreement :eek!:

Remember that you Don't Own Windows.
What you have bought is a licence key to Use Windows.
Acceptable, not really
Legal, sure is
Moral, seriously debatable

Unless you disable the mandatory auto update in W10 you get all sorts of stuff M$oft thinks you need, there was quite a big update early Nov and a big one scheduled for 2016.
If your data limited or it's expensive W10 folks should think about turning it off.

GWX popped up this morning saying it had detected some W10 files (or something), so I opened the GWX control panel and Cleared the Windows 10 Update cache.

Hopefully all is well.... at least W10 didn't get installed this morning!

Oh gawd!!! Windows popped up to ask me about upgrading to Win10 this morning, with the option of "Now" or "Later", so I clicked on "Later".

It then proceeded to check my system then downloaded new files. Finishing with the Now or later box again.

I selected the last available date of 30 November at 4am.

Then I get a message to say that you can not delay any further and if my computer isn't switched on at that time, it will install W10 the next time I do switch on.

Much as i disliked W8 this time last year, I'm more used to it now, especially as I have the Classicshell to make it look like W7.

Should I be worried?

Windows 10 is a doddle Delia so no I would not worry,I had the same thoughts myself but took the plunge a few weeks ago and all is fine.

Good Luck

Bob

Windows 10 is a doddle Delia so no I would not worry,I had the same thoughts myself but took the plunge a few weeks ago and all is fine.

Good Luck

Bob
Agree with Bob here, I went from Win7 to win10 six months ago. Absolutely hassle free and has worked perfectly ever since. Its just like an enhanced Win 7 as far as I can see.

Thanks guys.

Trouble is I've never been happy with this laptop. It seems unstable at the best of times and I really didn't want to rock the boat by installing something new.

When I first got it it had Win8 on and a friend spent hours trying to get to to work properly for me, even though the shop had added the Classic Shell so I had the Start Button and task bar.

Think I'd prefer to wait until I have to buy a new lappy which would have W10 already installed on it.

The next time I buy one, I think I'll take along a camera card and see how it handles picture downloads and also my external hard drive. Currently, I cannot leave it plugged in all the time and have to cross my fingers, toes and everything else, in the hope that I can transfer a file or two before it drops the connection!

Oh gawd!!! Windows popped up to ask me about upgrading to Win10 this morning, with the option of "Now" or "Later", so I clicked on "Later".

It then proceeded to check my system then downloaded new files. Finishing with the Now or later box again.

I selected the last available date of 30 November at 4am.

Then I get a message to say that you can not delay any further and if my computer isn't switched on at that time, it will install W10 the next time I do switch on.

Much as i disliked W8 this time last year, I'm more used to it now, especially as I have the Classicshell to make it look like W7.

Should I be worried?

At an earlier time, you must have agreed to install Windows 10. My understanding is that Microsoft began offering to let users upgrade long before Windows 10 was available, and when it became available users could either ask to install it at their earliest convenience or Microsoft would automatically do it at some point in the future (for you, I guess it is now).

For what it's worth, I upgraded from 7 to 10 back in August and haven't had many problems. The only thing that bothers me is that Microsoft has completely automated Windows Updates--it's nearly impossible for the user to take over the process and choose when to check for and install updates. This is frustrating because Windows can check for updates whenever it wants now, which can make your computer slow while it does so. It may not be an issue for most, but it's an annoyance for me.

That aside, most of my programs work just fine on Windows 10. I use Norton and it has had no problems.

Delia the same thing happened to me with W10 downloading when I didn't ask
it to. Anyway I decided to go with it and all has been fine for me. TBH can't see that much difference to the W8.1 I was running.

I bit the bullet last night and installed Win10. So far things are intuitive (except that programs are called "aps" instead of "programs") and working.

Niels

I bit the bullet last night and installed Win10. So far things are intuitive (except that programs are called "aps" instead of "programs") and working.

Niels

Took the plunge as well and everything went fine although it took around 2 hours! Interestingly, I have an option to convert to Win 7 in the top right corner selection so I can jump between both versions .......... don't know if this is standard!

Just need Ad Blocker to release their upgrade now so that I can get rid of all the Google ads and crap that comes with Microsoft Edge!

Shane

Last edited:
Just need Ad Blocker to release their upgrade now so that I can get rid of all the Google ads and crap that comes with Windows Edge!

Shane
Although I usually use Firefox as my browser I find the 'reading view' in Windows edge to be excellent for removing ads - its a little book icon on the top right or Ctrl+Shift+R
My local newspaper on line is normally unusable due to ads pop-up's but Edge cure's this 100% by switching to reading view which removes everything except the text of the article.

Although I usually use Firefox as my browser I find the 'reading view' in Windows edge to be excellent for removing ads - its a little book icon on the top right or Ctrl+Shift+R
My local newspaper on line is normally unusable due to ads pop-up's but Edge cure's this 100% by switching to reading view which removes everything except the text of the article.

Thanks Roy, I'll give it try!

Shane

I installed Win10 on both my notebooks back in August. Pretty much trouble free except that due to a known bug, which MS has yet to fix, every now and then Win10 disables my wifi adaptor. Usually the only way to turn it on is to first reboot and then go and enable it manually. Rather stupid that MS has not fixed this.

Had to use GWX again tonight to clear some new W10 files.

Is Clearing the cache all I really need to do?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back