• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl (1 Viewer)

JTF

Located this one today at a local golf course. Image was taken just before the sun set using a Nikon D50 and the original ver of the 80-400vr hand held on P mode.

Attachments

• 15888373059_0ec2159c9b_b.jpg
    15888373059_0ec2159c9b_b.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 224
Do the young ones and females look alike? I know that adult males are mostly white, with few spots.

According to Cornell (All About Birds), it's sort of a continuum: adult males most white, adult females fairly white, and juveniles quite barred. They commented that "intermediates are difficult to sex in the field." This picture looks a bit like some they have labeled "female juvenile," but I'm no expert.

Great shot. I wish my D50 had a Snowy Owl appear now and perch up on top of tree button. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back