• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most species seen in one day!!! (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
Hi everyone,
I went to Baggeridge country park today in the hope of getting Lesser Whitethroat and Grasshopper Warbler. Well, i got neither of them and the weather was terrible. However i got two different lifers, Water Rail and Scaup, my life list now 81. I also saw a Bullfinch for only the second time and also was within 5 metres of a couple of treecreepers probing the bark of a tree looking for a snack. All in all i saw:
Grey Heron
Blackcap
Goldfinch
Bullfinch
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Blue tit
Great tit
Long tailed tit
Robin
Wren
Blackbird
Black headed gull
Moorhen
Coot
Mute Swan
Canada goose
Mallard
Song thrush
Starling
Woodpigeon
Collared dove
Sparrowhawk
Carrion crow
Pied wagtail
Willow warbler
Chiff Chaff
House Martin
Swallow
Swift
Great Crested Grebe
Stock dove.

36 different species in total for the day and i'm going again on Monday with John N and his wife and hopefully i'll get a few other lifers, i'll keep you posted.
Steven :bounce:

Last edited:
Great day Steven. See you Monday.If first thing this morning is anything to go by we may be able to add Green woodpecker, Jackdaw, Jay and Nuthatch to that list.

Last edited:
Brian you seem dissapointed to be goint to work, i can't wait until i get a summer job so i can buy me a scooter and scope, i probably won't be as anxious to get to work after a couple of weeks in the job though.

John, if i get into college i will be working at Baggeridge every monday as part of my work experience. You'll be able to tell me where all the good birds are.

Steven

Hi all, i'm facing a little dilema. On Thursday me, mom, dad and sis are going to stop with friends down in London, we'll get there thursday evening, there is a dog show on Friday and we will be leaving on Sunday. Which leaves Saturday, my dad says if i want we'll go into Londaon city centre as i have never been around the city, but and heres the big but, should i take his offer or walk to a forest somewhere and look for birds. What would you do under these circumstances, please let me know as i am stuck as to what to do.
Steven

Hi Mike,

Is the London wetland centre anywhere by Sunbury because that's where i'll be staying, i'm not sure they will take me anywhere in a car so really i could do with something within walking distance. I know it's by the river, do you think it's worth going and walking along the river side for a couple of hours. If not do you reccomend anywhere within walking distance of sunbury.

Hi Steven,

It looks to be about 9 or 10 miles from Sunbury.

The WWT website gives details of how to get there by train though, so it shouldn't be difficult. As far as I can tell, trains from Sunbury to London centre should go through Barnes, which is close to it.

Michael

Cheers Mike,
I think i'm gonna get the train from sunbury which is just around the corner from me to Barnes. Then catch the bus and i'll be there. Me dad better give me the money though or i won't be going and i'll be having the biggest moan at him that he has ever had. Information much appreciated.
Thanks again Mike,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back