• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wind Chill (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Snow-dusted frozen-topped puddles cracking underfoot and hardened mud crunching - the bitter bite of winter beneath the moors. And from an ice blue sky the wind slices an icy knife that bends the birches.

Daggers of icicles hang on the waterfall sides - the teeth of winter. The sun barely above the heather hill making zebra stripes of shadows across the frosty path.

A Bullfinch flies up from a puddle to the trees. Somewhere the cough of a Raven is blown from the moor to fall in a lump.

Across the stream on a sunny slope where molehills push the turf, Fieldfares hop, finding food in unfrozen earth. Lapwings strut, head on to the blow.

And above the shadowed wall in a thorn a Little Owl huddles, fluffed against the biting wind, tight against the trunk. Half-closed eyes watching in its hunched head.

Somewhere the faint, thin calls of tits in hiding whip through the willows and are gone in the blast.

Out on the low horizon the pale sky pales to white: the promise of snow.

A perfectly described winter day in the uplands - I used to love that sort of weather too.

We've a very snowy day here with a couple of inches and more falling.

That is a post I might well come back to read a few times, to remind me of many happy years spent in the glens. Thanks H2

Yeah... I bet it was H2 LOL.

It turned to rain here on Wednesday night and around 2-3" of snow disappeared within 12 hours! Heavy snow in the hills though.

Great read, as usual, H.
I need to read this to Gene. We both need some perspective on cold weather. Hardly a day goes by without one of us making a comment on how cold it is here in Southern Cal. A few mornings ago, Gene told me it took an hour and a half for his feet to thaw under the covers after going to bed. If he'd wear shoes instead of Teva's he'd be better off, but he says he can't wear shoes anymore--they hurt. One night while we were watching some inane thing on one of the 700 TV channels, he said, "I'll never be warm again.";) What a couple of wimps we've become. We're having Santa Ana winds right now (warm winds blowing from inland to coast) so we'll get a thawing out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back