• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hail (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Frosts on the valley. Clear sky beyond. A memory of a sickle moon's sliver and a sprinkling of stars.
A Song Thrush's blast defies the cold. Meadow Pipits straggle northwards.

Out towards the moors Lapwings lie amongst the sheep, then suddenly rise. Buzzards are displaying as the black sky descends. The plovers circle and meet the cloud, black and white against the black backdrop. Buzzards dive and loop as the ink wall closes.

Six Golden Plover squat in the wheat field, watching as a flock swirls beyond: Fieldfare, Starlings and Redwings bunch and spiral and descend to the sycamores.

At the top field as hail drops, gently at first, but with gathering guts, and throws itself with force into the flocks of Rooks, Carrion Crows and Jackdaws: bouncing off the stones of the walls in a mad dance of white, with the cloak of the black sky blotting the daylight behind.

Above the heather on the summit the rim of the iron cloud cracks and the blinding day splits the dark. Soon the slate sky pales and bleaches white; storm-ragged clouds stream into the blue.

Now the Crow-driven Kestrel climbs the sky and arrows across the slopes. Spring regained basks in the sunny hollows.

Blue skies = frosty mornings, doesn't it. It was 10c here on Saturday, but cooler now.

It's a different world in the uplands isn't it... and I sure don't envy you the hail.. you can keep it lad!!;)

You sure have a great selection of birds up there don't you H2 - makes me wish I still lived up the glen!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back