• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MC Wide 40x/60x/75x - Opinions? (1 Viewer)

johnhub

Relatively newbie birder
I've got an EDIIIA with 30x MC wide, which is a great combination. I can't use a zoom eyepiece because of the eye relief issue, so I'm considering the 60x MC wide.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I appreciate that the view's going to be a bit dim with an exit pupil of 1, and the field of view will be narrow. Is it worth the expense?

All wisdom gratefully received!

Cheers
John

I have several Nikon scopes, 50, 60 and 82, with several eyepieces.
I think that big eyepiece would be the least desirable of all of the FS eyepieces.
60X is the very maximum that scope can use, and way too much.

I would look for the 27-40-50, Wide MC eyepiece with twist up eyecup.
It is good all around, I like the zoom best.

Jerry

I'd beg to differ a bit with Jerry, although he is right in a way too.

60x is at or close to the very maximum the 60 mm scope can handle, but for that very reason I think it is the best complement to your 30x wide. The 40x wide would be too close to the 30x, and you would end up preferring one or the other (most likely the 30x you now have, as it has larger field of view and better depth of field) and not find much benefit from the other. The 60x, on the other hand, would be a specialty eyepiece you would use when and only when the conditions were good and you really needed to squeeze out the last bit of detail your scope is capable of. That task it would perform very well.

When I had a Nikon ED 82 A, I used the 25-75x MC II zoom on it, but since that is not an option for you, the combo of 30x/60x would be a good alternative.

Kimmo

I think that 60x should be piece of cake for the EDIii.I boost my nikon ED50 to powers that are amazing,usinf my 8x binoculars,and at 1 km distance i am able to read a 40 cm sign with a telephone on it and discern most of the writing and numbers,size of the type must be around 1 inch,i guess...i am talking about 184x with a 50mm aperture..my scope is a bit better than average,because i tested many units and not all were able to achieve this .But a very nice regal 65 i owned was able of this as well,and i dont see the E D iii as being less capable.but of course,amd i agree here,buying an expensive eyepiece for a few times that you can find right conditions,or that you need this power,is not very economical...plus nikon eyepieces are not that swift to swap neither are they compact ,so two hands and a pocket are adviceable to proceed.....in that regard,the zolm,s ability to go back and forth in a sec is impossible to beat...shame on the eye relief...my suggestion would be to try one of those universal doublers,a route that i might explore in the future myself,with a 2x ,quality doubler you have access to reasonable magnification with your 30x ,probably with a very decent result too..
If you want to complement your eyepieces in the future,maybe the 24x ( 48x with your doubler)would fit a great niche....

The 60xw is a very worthwhile eyepiece. I have this EP which works very well both at 75x on my ED82 and at 40x on my ED50. On a good sample EDIII it will undoubtedly be a useful addition.

Many thanks all. I've bitten the bullet and bought the eyepiece. First impressions are very favourable - not so bright, obviously, but incredibly sharp and reasonable field of view.

Will say more after I've properly tested it out!

Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back