• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron eats weasel (2 Viewers)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Following on from the woodpecker riding weasel, I was lucky enough to capture a fight between a weasel and grey heron yesterday. I was booked to give a presentation on Birds of the Hel peninsula, Poland to RSPB Sevenoaks group so spent time visiting Elmley NNR and Oare Marshes. All very quiet at both places apart from, as I was driving up the track at Elmley to leave, I noted a grey heron behaving strangely on the road. I slowed the car and saw it was engaged in a fight with a weasel. Several times the weasel drew blood by biting the heron's bill and was promptly dropped. Instead of legging it to safety the fearless weasel came back for more. Eventually the heron flew off with the weasel still attached to its beak and landed in a nearby pool. Here it tried to drown the animal, which was still fighting!! Eventually, it was drowned and eaten whole, head first. In all, the action lasted a good 7 minutes.
The first set of photos were taken through the car windscreen, but once the bird landed in the pool,I could wind the window down and get much clearer shots. Several of these photos have now been twittered around the world and I have had interest from Birdwatching magazine and several national papers.
More photos on my blog: address below.
Cheers,
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_0041 (2).JPG
    DSC_0041 (2).JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC_0063 (3).JPG
    DSC_0063 (3).JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC_0069 (2).JPG
    DSC_0069 (2).JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSC_0079 (3).JPG
    DSC_0079 (3).JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC_0085 (2).JPG
    DSC_0085 (2).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
An amazing set of pics showing this behavior! Question though, if the weasel is still alive as it is being swallowed, does the Heron stand a chance of it being bitten on the inside of its neck?

An amazing set of pics showing this behavior! Question though, if the weasel is still alive as it is being swallowed, does the Heron stand a chance of it being bitten on the inside of its neck?

It looked as though the weasel was dead before being swallowed. However, I half expected to see it munch its way out.
Jono

awesome moment to see and capture.thought the woodpecker was an amazing sight to see but it seems by your capture and i have seen a young gannet one that it is not so rare for weasels to attack birds just rare to capture the moment.many tfs and some brilliant captures.all the best margaret.

Brilliant shots, Jono. I hope your photos get the same coverage as the woodpecker shots. So far the scoreboard stands at Birds - 2, Weasels - 0. I hope the guys over on the Mustelids forum are eating their hearts out!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back