• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id help saskatchewan canada (1 Viewer)

bird noob

hi,
i got three pictures here. the one im most concerned about is the duck. the other two are really crappy 100% crops but i thought it cant hurt to give it a shot. I think the bird at the bottom of the second one is an american kestrel,but do the wings seem too broad to be a merlin for the one above?whataya think they are? and thanks as always!

Attachments

• DSC_2510[1].JPG
    DSC_2510[1].JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_2507[1].JPG
    DSC_2507[1].JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_2500[1].JPG
    DSC_2500[1].JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I'd agree with SueO's first thought ... Cooper's ... it's often hard to judge size but based on the proximity of the accipiter to the kestrel, the former doesn't seem large enough to be a Goshawk

Last edited:
Is the raptor next to the Kestrel too long-tailed for Red-shouldered Hawk? The well-defined tail-bars and the pale panel on the primaries made me think of RSH immediately.

Is the raptor next to the Kestrel too long-tailed for Red-shouldered Hawk? The well-defined tail-bars and the pale panel on the primaries made me think of RSH immediately.
It is definitely an Accipiter and I would agree that Cooper's seems to fit best.

hi,
i got three pictures here. the one im most concerned about is the duck. the other two are really crappy 100% crops but i thought it cant hurt to give it a shot. I think the bird at the bottom of the second one is an american kestrel,but do the wings seem too broad to be a merlin for the one above?whataya think they are? and thanks as always!

Did you notice any interaction between the two birds in the second photo? Cooper's are known to prey upon Kestrels.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back