• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanibel Island - J. N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge - Florida (1 Viewer)

birdnSWF

Fort Myers Photographer
Hi All,

This weekend (4/12/08) we went out to the J. N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island. We arrived at about noon and low tide was about 1:30. Low tide is the perfect time to go bird watching as they typically are more actively looking for food.

Over 4 hours we saw pelicans, spoonbills, woodpeckers, cardinals, herons, cat birds, and one bird we are not sure of (pics 4,5). There were also cute raccoons, lizards, crabs, gators and more.

What we really like about Ding Darling is that you can drive it. It gets really hot even this time of year and the quick cool off in the AC helps. It's about 5 miles and all along the way you can park and get out and explore further. They have several 1/3 to 2 mail tails that you can walk into the mangroves and really get close the wildlife.

My wife and I do Sanibel Island Photography (wedding and portrait) so I thought it appropriate to post to the "Local Patch". On our link we have some other suggestions for a full day on Sanibel, but here I stuck with the bird report.

Keep in mind Ding Darling is closed on Friday to give the birds rest... I hope you enjoyed the post and I would be happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 143
Your so lucky living on the doorstep to Sanibel. We were booked for a 28 day holiday there in Jan but but had to cancel 3 days before due to illness. Keep the photos coming just to show me what we missed. Nice pics you got there.
Jim

Thanks Periwinkle!

Yes, Jim we really are blessed. Sanibel is a great place for wildlife and vacationing. The only thing that can get a little old about southwest Florida is the heat...

I will have to send some details about Fort Myers and Everglades spots. I don't know that any can top the photography opportunities of Sanibel, but still very enjoyable.

Here are two more bonus pictures from the Sanibel Island "B roll" this weekend.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 135
Nice pictures. I'm assuming that you know what the bottom two pics are of, but i'll tell you anyways just in case. 1. Red-Bellied Woodpecker 2. Great-Crested Flycatcher (99% sure)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back