• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird with beakful! (1 Viewer)

Romafree

Had to laugh this morning, I had put a fair few mealworms on the ledge of the fence, a certain male blackbird was determined ot get as many in his beak as he could...he dropped a few, quickly and efficiently picked them up.....the mealworms were "sideways" in a row in his beak!!
He evidently was determined to limit this to just the one trip!!
I am sure that there will be a small family of baby blackbirds having a feast somewhere nearby!! ;)

The Blackbirds up here are the same, I'm amazed at how much they can cram into their beaks. Its quite funny when I first put the bowls out as they can't decide what to chose, so they rifle through the bowls and try to stuff everything in.

What part of South Wales are you ? I used to live there until 7 months ago.

Hi HartleyHare!! We live near Llantrisant (the hole with the mint!!).
It is so funny that you should say you used to live in S Wales because guess where I used ot live? ....Anglesey! Long time ago though.
Yes, the blackbirds never cease to amuse me!!

Hi HartleyHare!! We live near Llantrisant (the hole with the mint!!).
It is so funny that you should say you used to live in S Wales because guess where I used ot live? ....Anglesey! Long time ago though.
Yes, the blackbirds never cease to amuse me!!

Gosh, that is so strange. We used to live in Monmouthshire, just outside of Chepstow. I love Anglesey, especially the beaches, but I do miss all the forests and woodlands. There's not much up here, untill you get to Snowdonia.

We have a lot more birds than I had anticipated. We did several viewings on the house before buying and the one thing I noticed was a distinct lack of birds. I was worried that we might not get many. I needed have worried - lol!! We have so many now and they fly all around us and over us, they are quite tame. Their voices are just amazing sometimes !!!

I bought some special seed mix for Mr and Mrs Blackbird and they refuse to eat it !! They prefer the other foods I put out.

Just seen your post! Yes, lots of birds in Anglesey! I was brought up in Rhosneigr, lived in Llangefni, Gaerwen, Trearddur Bay and lots of other places there!
We were up in Chepstow only last week....plenty of birds around there too! I find that many of our birds here do not seem to care for the seed they "should" like either!!!

I was in Treaddur Bay today! Drove through on our way to South Stacks. Absolutely stunning. We live in Llanfwrog. Bought a house that was a 'project ' . It seemed like a good idea at the time. Bit more of a project than was anticipated.

I miss the Wye Valley, we used to go there a lot as it was just on our doorstep. I wish I could move it up here - lol! We haven't explored Snowdonia yet, but I don't think there are any places that compare with the Wye Valley. But, I could, of course, be wrong.

I was watching Mr Blackbird earlier. I bought some more suet pellets and it didn't take him long to find them. He was n't content with just taking a beakful at a time he had to try and cram two beakfuls in, so it went everywhere. It was quite funny to watch.

I don't know Llanfwrog? Trearddur Bay is a joy, my grandmother lived there for years. Rhosneigr is great for birds. As for Snowdonia, well, you have a large area of delights awaiting you! Wye Valley is wonderful though, I agree!
Wish I had been able to photograph that blackbird ~ he lost nothing from that beak!! :eek!:

Hi .... Llanfwrog is very close to Sandy Beach and Penrhyn Bay is right at the bottom of our lane ;). We go to both beaches but more so to Sandy beach. We were sat on the rocks at 7.00am yesterday morning watching a Tern diving for breakfast and a couple of Ducks floating around. I didn't realise until I came up here that Ducks go into saltwater!

Why did you leave Anglesey ? I don't know Llantrisant very well, just driven through it a few times.

I had a mad plucking session with Rubi rabbit in the garden yesterday afternoon and left her fur on the grass. The sparrows were there straight away grabbing huge beakfuls of it for their nests. Are your Blackbirds quite tame ? The ones we had at teh other house were quite nervous of us but up here Mr and Mrs are quite tame and come very close to us. Mrs lost her hubby in December and was on her own for almost 4 months. It was quite sad to see her flitting about during the winter months all alone. I was worried that she wouldn't find another hubby, but they are now on their 2nd lot of chicks.

Oh, that is interesting re your blackbirds! We have only had a couple visit here and so far they are nervous but then it could be the yorkie trio?! They are told off though when they bark at the birds and not too bad really.
We have starlings, a couple of sparrows and a robin (who doesn't visit often enough!)...we need to encourage him. I would love to have a nesting couple next spring!
Sparrows must still be nesting then if they took the fur?
Our blue tits fledged today and we will miss them so much but only want them safe of course.
I left Anglesey SO many years ago when I left for Cardiff Uni. I then married and stayed down south!! Family still in Anglesey so we do visit, usually on the way back from Ireland!!

Oh, that is interesting re your blackbirds! We have only had a couple visit here and so far they are nervous but then it could be the yorkie trio?! They are told off though when they bark at the birds and not too bad really.
We have starlings, a couple of sparrows and a robin (who doesn't visit often enough!)...we need to encourage him. I would love to have a nesting couple next spring!
Sparrows must still be nesting then if they took the fur?
Our blue tits fledged today and we will miss them so much but only want them safe of course.
I left Anglesey SO many years ago when I left for Cardiff Uni. I then married and stayed down south!! Family still in Anglesey so we do visit, usually on the way back from Ireland!!

I think they are nesting in either the bushes bordering our property or the huge hydrangea at the bottom of the drive. Mr Blackbird was about earlier. We were sat outside next to the bird table and he came to get some of the suet I had just put out. He is quite comical, he sits on top of the bird table with his head cocked eyeing us up and down and he appears to be listening when I talk to him.

We have 2 nest boxes in the back garden both occupied by Sparrows. The first 2 to move in have had the first lot of chicks and are now incubating the 2nd lot. The other 2 are busy raising their 1st lot of babies, which were born just over a week ago. There are also Sparrows nesting in the bushes nearby and in the bushes in the side garden.

We have 2 Robins who appear to be incubating their 2nd lot of eggs. I don't know where they are nesting. I saw 3 chicks the first time ( but they may have had more and some didn't survive ).

That's good news re the Bluetits, but a pity you didn't get to see them fledge.

We are SO lucky with the birds we have - Bluetits, Great Tits, Sparrows, pair of Robins, pair of Chaffinches, pair of Goldfinches, pair of Collared Doves, pair of Blackbirds, Starlings and Wrens. There are also Magpies, Crows, Gulls and a single, very dignified looking Rook, but I don't encourage them.

Don't have any dogs, just rabbits and guinea pigs, so I suppose the birds don't see them as a threat. We have been meaning to go over to Ireland on the ferry as foot passengers for the day. I've never been, but I've been told its beautiful and a totally different way of life. Do you have family living there as well ?

Hi! Wish we had a quarter of the irds that you have!! Now that the blue tits have gone, life is so quiet. Did have the father bird call in for some of the fat ball earlier. Had a robin this am who visited twice, must work on that....a bit of cheese going out for the morning!! Starlings love the mealworms and we have the occasional sparrow, blackbird or two but that is it.
Does anyone know how I can make the robin feel more welcome? I need to find out more about them I think? He seems to try the fat balls but finds hovering too hard (have put one in bird table but he not found that yet).
HartleyHare, no I don't have family in Ireland but it's a wonderful country, do get on the ferry!! o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back