• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broadwing 8x42 (1 Viewer)

looksharp65

Sweden
By and large recovered from the flu and looking through what I managed to do while my judgment was tainted by the fever.

Found that I'm the sole bidder on a Stokes Broadwing 8x42. When released, it seems to have got a fair amount of praise and that the only difference
vs. the Fury is that the dreaded central diopter literally is on the right place on the Broadwing. Granted, I hope it focuses clockwise.
And everybody knows how I cherish the Fury 6.5x32.

So if I'm lucky I soon have a beater/spare with evening birding capacity, clean and sharp view with true-to-life colours and a clockwise focuser.
The drawback would be the not so glorious FOV but at least it allows me wearing spectacles. Right?

Oh yeah, then it's the price. If I remain as the only bidder, my final price would be in the £140/$240 range after P&P, customs and VAT.
Time for a nasty facepalm or what? :eek!:

//L

Stokes Broadwing! A "blast from the past"!

I recall really liking the lines of it in a shop or two I frequented in the early 2000s (2002 or 2003?) but I don't recall looking through it though...

I was aware it got good reviews. I liked the smooth armor (if I am thinking of the correct model) better than the equivalent Vortex badged models some of which had checkering... The Broadwing just llooked like it was cut from a different cloth...

I didn't know about the diopter differences...

At the time, my wife was in college and the price seemed exorbitant ($350 +/-)

Funny how prices are relevant to our situation and place in life at the moment-11ish years later I'm getting ready to get a Leica Ultravid HD!

I would think it would be a good to great spare (I hate to even use the term "beater" for a Stokes Broadwing

Have you gotten it yet?

Broadwing is a very practical bins. Solidly built and acceptable optics. DLS is much better, but quite seldom appeared at the Bay. I used both previously.

Thanks for the replies. I lost the bidding, which by then was kind of a relief, but then I repeated my 'mistake' with buying a minty Fury 8x42, which I'm still waiting for to arrive. The price was too good to pass!
David, the Fury won't take much beating since I predominantly use the best binoculars I have at hand, and having a few bins means that each will face less wear.
'Spare' is the correct term here, and it will deputize for the EDG 7x42 when that one is not at hand for logistic reasons.

//L

Lars

As an owner of both the 6.5X Fury and 7X42 EDG, can you give your thoughts on how the image of the Fury compares. Are the differences in the usual optical properties glaringly obvious in favor of the Nikon, or more subtle ? Also, have you been able to do a first hand comparison between the EDG and the current Swarovski EL ?

Thanks Bruce

Lars

As an owner of both the 6.5X Fury and 7X42 EDG, can you give your thoughts on how the image of the Fury compares. Are the differences in the usual optical properties glaringly obvious in favor of the Nikon, or more subtle ? Also, have you been able to do a first hand comparison between the EDG and the current Swarovski EL ?

Thanks Bruce

Bruce, the EDG 7x42 is for me a lot more like an 8x42 with 6 mm exit pupil if you understand what I mean. Before mentioning the optical diffrences I must point out the handling differences and the perceived suitability for different tasks.

As you know, the Fury is lightning-fast for chasing warblers. Everything with it contributes to this speed - the big FOV, the huge depth of field and the fast and light focus knob.
This type of birding does not necessarily require freedom from CA or super high boosted resolution. The magnification can be a little bit too weak at times. Now you know why it didn't make it all the way to become my only birding binocular.

My objective with purchasing the EDG 7x42 was to get the best possible allround binocular. I prioritize depth of field and have found that more modest magnifications nearly always deliver all the detail needed for ID purposes and that the advantages of depth of field and a big FOV makes a good 7x42 the best allround binocular. Another point is the comfortable view it delivers, with plenty room for the eyes to roam around.

The configuration is slightly more "balanced" than the 6.5x32. The 0.5x magnification difference is visible. The comfort of the even bigger exit pupil is noticeable, as is the performance when using them at night.
The 6.5x32 can be at least as bright as the naked eye in darkness, but the 7x42 gives the impression of turning on a light.
The perceived depth of field is narrower than the 6.5x32, partly because of the greater magnification but also the big exit pupil and the extremely flat field.
This creates the impression of a very bright 8x42 rather than a 7x.
The focus knob is considerably stiffer than the Fury's, which delays the warbler chasing quite a bit.

The image of the 6.5x32 is very good but the sweet spot is not huge, maybe 65%. It does not have a CA problem but CA can be detected in adverse condition. The backlight properties are surprisingly good and the colour rendition is almost perfectly neutral.

The EDG, in contrast, has a sweet spot that approaches 100% and much of the blur near the edge can be refocused, if not everything.
If looking for CA, CA will be found but that goes for the SV EL, SLC and the FL as well, just to mention a few binos I tortured with this test.
In everyday birding I've found no serious CA.
The EDG is extremely sharp and the great contrast contributes to this.
Overall, the image is slightly more brilliant than the Fury's but by a small margin.

To sum it up, I feel the EDG 7x42 delivers what I expected. It is suitable for 24/7 birding, short and long distance, does not favour any particular group of colours. Brown hues are well defined, blue is sparkling and white is white.
All colours seem to glow with vibrancy. It is very relaxing to look through and the housing as well as the view yields a luxurious, confidence-inspiring impression of quality. Thus, it is a "holistic" experience. If the binocular is important, the EDG delivers a "glaringly obviously" better experience.
If you're blown away with what you watch in the nature, you won't think about what binocular you're using right then.

We both know how spectacularly good the Fury 6.5x32 is, but the tiny beauty spots that it has aren't there in the EDG, albeit at the expense of some speed.
If only the best is good enough, the EDG is good value.
But with maybe 85% of the EDG's field performance, the Fury was a tremendeous value.

Re the SV EL, let me say I'm not so fond of it and I prefer the Nikon view.
On the other hand, I was mighty impressed with the newest SLC 8x42.

//L

PS. The Fury 8x42 arrived today. It will be a good spare binocular to store at my workplace. It has a decidedly different colour bias than the 6.5x32 and it is far from as bright, too.
The colour bias goes towards a contrast-enhancing peachy hue and the light transmission is visibly lower than the 6.5x32, the E II and even the Meostar 8x32.
In fact, the colour reminds me of the original HG/Venturer I owned a while ago. The lateral CA is visible but not annoying and less than the Nikon HG or Monarch X.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back