• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kern 8x30 opinions (1 Viewer)

I've got an Kern military 8x30 from 1980. It's very well made, but optically mediocre. The eyepiece has short eye relief, about a 68 degree AFOV with goobs of off axis astigmatism. Deutsche Optics still sells the later Leica branded version of this binocular, which has a very cool mechanical design, but is optically unchanged except for being ruined by a non-removable laser filter. They also sell the Kern military 6x24, a lovely baby 6x30 made of solid brass. I like that one better and it's cheap, but they might have run out of coated specimens by now.

henry link said:
I've got an Kern military 8x30 from 1980. It's very well made, but optically mediocre. The eyepiece has short eye relief, about a 68 degree AFOV with goobs of off axis astigmatism. Deutsche Optics still sells the later Leica branded version of this binocular, which has a very cool mechanical design, but is optically unchanged except for being ruined by a non-removable laser filter. They also sell the Kern military 6x24, a lovely baby 6x30 made of solid brass. I like that one better and it's cheap, but they might have run out of coated specimens by now.

Henry, I assume that model has no center focus? The military versions were individual focus with the purpose of waterproofing the porro design. It probably has a reticle in one barrel, I think. But I'm not sure whether all military models had one.
When I was a kid, I dreamed of the 7x50 Kern, which was then considered to be a very fine model. Kern also produced spotting scopes at that time. I was sometimes able to borrow one from the local birding society. It had three eyepieces on a very compact revolving device. The B&L version for their balscope was much bulkier.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back