• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally ordered a ED82A (1 Viewer)

MXP

After getting the x30 and x75 DS eyepieces at a good deal I finally ordered a ED82A. First it was my intention to try to make a scope converter out of the eyepieces but after making some prototyping and found that I got to much CA I gave up and ordered an ED82A. Does anybody know if the ED82 will go out of production when the new EDG scopes are on the market?

It is difficult to know if the ED82 decision was stupid as no review has been made on the EDG's?

How many lenses are in the ED82 body and how many are ED elements?

Probably the x30 DS is best for digiscoping and x75 for viewing only?

Hi,

IMHO you made very good decision going for ED82. I don't know for sure, but it is likely to be discontinued.
30xDS eyepiece is perfect for digiscoping, I own 25-75x zoom only for now ;) and experimenting with digiscoping with the zoom.
I think the 75xDS can also be used for digiscoping but the results will not be as good as with the 30xDS, good enough for record shots for example.
Because the ED82 is a heavy scope, make sure you use sturdy tripod and head.

Cheers

Maciek

Hi,

IMHO you made very good decision going for ED82. I don't know for sure, but it is likely to be discontinued.
30xDS eyepiece is perfect for digiscoping, I own 25-75x zoom only for now ;) and experimenting with digiscoping with the zoom.
I think the 75xDS can also be used for digiscoping but the results will not be as good as with the 30xDS, good enough for record shots for example.
Because the ED82 is a heavy scope, make sure you use sturdy tripod and head.

Cheers

Maciek

I have a couple of study tripods and heads. I will use a Coolpix P6000 and for now I have an Opticron bracket. It seems to be useable but a little difficult to adjust. I have no adapter which can connect the camera direct with the eyepiece. I have the Nikon universal bracket (UBK) but it is the first Nikon equipment I am a bit disappointed with. I has to much "slack" so the camera will not be steady. Think this bracket require that the camera is fixed to the eyepiece to be usable. Some lock screws are missing to really lock the positions as you have on an e.g. PB4 or PB6 bellows. I hoped that the UBK was a similar quality but is has to much plastic.......

The EDG should be on Tokyo dealer shelves May 22. The 85 will go for 177,200 yen and the 65 for 126,000. No price difference between straight and angled either. No indication that the old ED82 or EDIII and their eyepieces are officially discontinued here.

I think your scope choice was a great decision. Don't worry about the number of ED elements. Many more optical factors make for a great fieldscope and the ED82 optics are top-class.

From what I saw of the EDG last month, the only thing it brings is a bigger, heavier body, a bayonette mount, a digiscoping friendly zoom, and higher prices. I will get a better chance to see them in the field at the Tokyo Bird Festival on the 23rd.

You can use the 75x eyepiece for digiscoping in good light but the hard thing will be finding your target, unless it is some distance. Unfortunately, the lame screw-in attachment method the scope uses makes it almost impossible to change from 30x to the 75x eyepiece quickly. So the bird will have to be dead or asleep for you to get a high mag closeup pic.

have fun!
Rick

The EDG should be on Tokyo dealer shelves May 22. The 85 will go for 177,200 yen and the 65 for 126,000. No price difference between straight and angled either. No indication that the old ED82 or EDIII and their eyepieces are officially discontinued here.

I think your scope choice was a great decision. Don't worry about the number of ED elements. Many more optical factors make for a great fieldscope and the ED82 optics are top-class.

From what I saw of the EDG last month, the only thing it brings is a bigger, heavier body, a bayonette mount, a digiscoping friendly zoom, and higher prices. I will get a better chance to see them in the field at the Tokyo Bird Festival on the 23rd.

You can use the 75x eyepiece for digiscoping in good light but the hard thing will be finding your target, unless it is some distance. Unfortunately, the lame screw-in attachment method the scope uses makes it almost impossible to change from 30x to the 75x eyepiece quickly. So the bird will have to be dead or asleep for you to get a high mag closeup pic.

have fun!
Rick

OK!
I will see what I get. The tripod mount looks very solid on the 82ED. On the new EDG scopes it looks a bit like the modern mounts as Nikon use on their AFS 300/4 etc. which many finds a bit "flimsy". But I think they made them a bit stronger on later versions. The x30 and x75 eyepieces for the 82ED has a very solid feel. I will probably be surprised on how big a 82ED is. Can see you have the famous 88mm Kowa scope. So if you after have used this scope still thinks the 82ED is good then I probably should not think to much about the EDG scopes. It could be interesting to see the optical construction of the two. Are the Nikon ED elements also flourite?

No, Nikon is ED glass only. Actually, the foot on the Nikon sits too high and forward so acts as a fulcrum for vibration when digiscoping. The scope really needs a "Y' brace on the back like in the pic. I just took a small cloth towel rolled it tight and jammed it in the space between the bottom of the scope and the slide bar.

Rick

Attachments

• Y-brace.jpg
    Y-brace.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 174
No, Nikon is ED glass only. Actually, the foot on the Nikon sits too high and forward so acts as a fulcrum for vibration when digiscoping. The scope really needs a "Y' brace on the back like in the pic. I just took a small cloth towel rolled it tight and jammed it in the space between the bottom of the scope and the slide bar.

Rick

OK!
I must think of a solution for that until I get the scope. I have always wondered why this little detail making a perfect tripod mount can be so difficult. On the big teles 400/2.8 and so it seems it is more important that the tripod mount can be used as a handle for carrying the lens. Maybe this company could make a tripod mount like this:

http://www.srb-griturn.com/about-tripod-lens-mounts-120-c.asp

I know that it makes a big different that the tripod mount is perfect.

About focusing I have read two different proposals from Nikon. The 1st one was to lock the camera at infinity and then focus the scope until the image is sharp on the LCD. My P6000 has a feature so when used in MF mode the central part of the LCD is magnified. Could be usefull. The other proposal was to first focus the scope until image is sharp on the LCD and then use single AF to ensure 100% focus. Then the focus point of course has to be set at the taget (e.g. a bird). But I know the AF often like to hunt a bit so the first poposal by setting the camera to infinity will be my first try and see if it is possible to use the LCD to achive correct focus at the target.

Good choice with the ED82 hehehe and I'm currently testing the new universal adapter FSB-U1 by Nikon with my ED82 and ED50.

Check my blog next week for the report :)

Happy birding and digiscoping

Good choice with the ED82 hehehe and I'm currently testing the new universal adapter FSB-U1 by Nikon with my ED82 and ED50.

Check my blog next week for the report :)

Happy birding and digiscoping

It will be interesting to hear about the new FSB-U1 and also if you think it is better than the other adapters you have. Do you have your own blog somewhere or where will you post the results? .....in the digiadapter forum?

i have looked through most of the top scopes,in my view there is little between them opticaly...was very impressed by the ed82 with full zoom used on a dull day! super price to...only downside was weight and bulk hence i plumped for a kowa 773.. dai

It will be interesting to hear about the new FSB-U1 and also if you think it is better than the other adapters you have. Do you have your own blog somewhere or where will you post the results? .....in the digiadapter forum?

I will be posting in my blog address below and also in Digiscoping Adapter section :)

My choice of adapter is between the universal Nikon (FSU) and the grb-griturn MKII. So interesting what you think is the best.

I just arrived home and what I can say now, the advantage of my SRB-Griturn Mk II adapter over the Nikon FSB-U1 is,

1. It swings for 180 degree where as FSB-U1 only up to 90 degree only. Not usable for left sighted birders. With SRB-Griturn, both left and righ sighted birders won't have any problem using it.

Will post soon the pictures of the adapter.

Last edited:
I just arrived home and what I can say now, the advantage of my SRB-Griturn Mk II adapter over the Nikon FSB-U1 is,

1. It swings for 180 degree where as FSB-U1 only up to 90 degree only. Not usable for left sighted birders. With SRB-Griturn, both left and righ sighted birders won't have any problem using it.

Will post soon the pictures of the adapter.

Thank you for the message. I am very left sighted. My left eye is dominant so with left eye I am able to keep both eyes open when I look through the scope.

Will the set screws on the SRB-Griturn adapter make marks in the eyepiece or is there an inner ring the screws locks against?

After getting the x30 and x75 DS eyepieces at a good deal I finally ordered a ED82A. First it was my intention to try to make a scope converter out of the eyepieces but after making some prototyping and found that I got to much CA I gave up and ordered an ED82A. Does anybody know if the ED82 will go out of production when the new EDG scopes are on the market?

It is difficult to know if the ED82 decision was stupid as no review has been made on the EDG's?

How many lenses are in the ED82 body and how many are ED elements?

Probably the x30 DS is best for digiscoping and x75 for viewing only?

I puchased also the same scope.I think of purchasing also the Nikon coolpix 6000 and the 25X occular.
What is the best adapter?
The attached pics are made with the SONY W7 puting on the 25-56 Zoom occular without adapter!

Attachments

• Passer_domesticus.jpg
    Passer_domesticus.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 205
  • warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 179
I puchased also the same scope.I think of purchasing also the Nikon coolpix 6000 and the 25X occular.
What is the best adapter?
The attached pics are made with the SONY W7 puting on the 25-56 Zoom occular without adapter!

x25 eyepiece? ....you don't want one of the x30, x50 or x75 DS eyepieces?
I think probably the SRB-Griturn is the best adapter for the DS eyepieces.

I can see that the ED82 is not 100% free from CA. Can see some blown highlights not 100% in focus causes some "miss coloring". But nothing are 100% perfect I guess........

I like the P6000. It seems quite usable for digiscoping. The ML-L3 IR remote control is nice. Then you don't need a cable release and you have no physical contact with the camera when you release the trigger.......

Thank you for the message. I am very left sighted. My left eye is dominant so with left eye I am able to keep both eyes open when I look through the scope.

Will the set screws on the SRB-Griturn adapter make marks in the eyepiece or is there an inner ring the screws locks against?

No marks on my DS30x eyepice with the Griturn hehehe and the eyepice sleeve holds by screwing onto the small part of the eyepiece where we used the rubber cup supplied for normal viewing.

SRB-Griturn Mk II is one of my best adapter so far hahaha I really like it :p and the old SRB-Griturn adapter act as a backup now :)

Email Terry and he knows what is your needs :)

OK! I will give it a try :)
Terry I don't know but have written to Ian :)
The SRB adapter seems to be cheaper than the Nikon. And I have the ML-L3 IR remote then I don't need the cable release bracket. Can see you have very colorfull birds in Borneo. Most birds here are white, gray, brown and black. Think swans and ducks are good training targets to start with....if they don't swim to fast......

Hehehe thanks :)

And let me know what do you think once you received the adapter ok

Now I have a tracking no. on the 82ED :)

One question about image quality when digiscoping with the 82ED. Is the quality so good that you could make large quality prints from the files?

Or is digiscoping for documentation mostly?

Who will be the first testing the new EDG scopes?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back