• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serin, Stodmarsh (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

A short visit to Stodmarsh NNR with my wife this morning produced nothing unexpected – Cetti's Warbler, a Hobby, several Marsh Harriers, etc. The only unusual feature was the large number of Swifts (200+) in the area as we left. However, as we drove uphill and out of the village towards Canterbury a couple of small birdsflew up from the roadside; the first scarcely registered and the second wouldn't have were it not for the flash of yellow on the rump. “Serin” my brain instantly told me and, a millisecond or two later, it registered that I was in the UK, not Spain! The bird flew low along the road just in front of the car showing off its yellow rump, dark tail, dull streaked back and faint double wing bar before flipping over the hedge towards Stodmarsh Court Farm. Unfortunately, having parked up and summoned reinforcements I could not relocate the bird. On my return home I checked the valley list on the KOS website and was delighted to find that this seems to be the first record for the valley. OK not a huge rarity and I can think of a good few birds I'd rather have found, but certainly a find that gave me much pleasure,

Yes, pleasing indeed. I did find one years back at Sandwich Bay, but getting a new bird for the valley was particularly pleasing .... pity it wasn't something more exotic though!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back