• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Have I the most impressive dip list in Yorkshire - can anyone top these 16?

Storm Petrel
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Franklin's Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Blue-cheeked Bee-eater
Pechora Pipit
Nightingale
Cetti’s Warbler
Savi’s Warbler
Arctic Warbler
Serin
Pine Grosbeak
White-throated Sparrow
Pine Bunting
Amur Falcon

:flyaway:

If I'd connected with these I'd be joint 17th on the YB rankings. Some really painful memories in that list. At least some of them will fall - hopefully soon, even if some never will.

That's an impressive list. Even I've seen a few of those ;). A Serin at Spurn in the early nineties was my first twitch.

Lesser Crested Tern was one I was thinking about the other day. I did manage to see Elsie once in the mid nineties - was she frequent in Yorkshire - I got her at Beacon Ponds if memory serves

I do know I have missed at least five Raddes Warblers. Heard a few though.

That's an impressive list. Even I've seen a few of those ;). A Serin at Spurn in the early nineties was my first twitch.

Lesser Crested Tern was one I was thinking about the other day. I did manage to see Elsie once in the mid nineties - was she frequent in Yorkshire - I got her at Beacon Ponds if memory serves

I do know I have missed at least five Raddes Warblers. Heard a few though.

Oh Elsie is on the list of those I should have gone for, but that'a nother list! I did get her on the Farnes. These are all true dips.

Ldv

Things starting to pick up on the LDV Two sedge warblers still hanging around,sparrowhawk and hobby showing well,15-20 swans have arrived including 2 whoopers,dozens of gbb gulls,and 100+ fieldfare flying over all afternoon in groups of 15-20.All we need now is some H2O.

Filey Brigg

Had a nice morning on the Brigg today. Star of the show was this cracking long tailed duck. Also velvet scoter, arctic tern, purple sandpiper plus common stuff.
Full account on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled-2.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 76
  • untitled-4.jpg
    untitled-4.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 83
  • untitled-10.jpg
    untitled-10.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 105
  • untitled-13.jpg
    untitled-13.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 107
  • untitled-9.jpg
    untitled-9.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 103
Afternoon at Nosterfield Quarry - Lingham Lake - Common Crane, 4 Dunlin, 1 Redshank, 6 Goldeneye and a Bar-Headed Goose in amongst the Greylags, two of which were neck-collared AJZ and AJU. Spent some time with Bill Haines who started the Greylag scheme and now lives in London. Small flock of 24ish Golden Plovers.
Flask - Iceland Gull flew over.
Reedbed - Kingfisher.
Flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares about too.

Last edited:
Goldfinches. Has anyone else noticed an upsurge in the number of goldfinches recently? I'm regularly getting up to 10 at any one time in my garden on the feeders. Just wondered if this is out of the ordinary?
Cheers
Tom

Goldfinches. Has anyone else noticed an upsurge in the number of goldfinches recently? I'm regularly getting up to 10 at any one time in my garden on the feeders. Just wondered if this is out of the ordinary?
Cheers
Tom

Yes Tom. Noticed an upsurge just in the past week. (I'm near Todmorden, W.Yorks) We regularly got 8 or 9 but now each day the tree is wick with 'em - 20 or more now. Are they incomers I wonder? But I'd love some house sparrows or starlings. Never satisfied are we?

S

Cheers
Tom

It may or may not be related, but the records from the Spurn Bird Observatory have shown large numbers of goldfinches moving through, so it may well be that some winter visitors have already made it into our neck of the woods. We regularly get 20 plus in our garden and they seem to breed close by judging by the numbers of juveniles we see, but there do seem to be even more than normal around - and very welcome they are too!

Cheers
Tom

We have been commenting on it at local level Tom - big increase. The garden flocks have doubled which is surely due to a good season rather than continental surge?
The local fields have good numbers and they dont appear to have been affected by the same problem Greenfinch have.

goldfinches

we've had 2 to 4 visiting all summer, till about 3 weeks ago when the numbers started to rise to a peak of 24, since that day they all seem to have buggered off. all we get now is the odd one every couple of days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back