• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best places anywhere to see Hummingbirds ? (1 Viewer)

Wow, Peter C., Diego, you are extremely helpful with such detailed information.
For Peter, can you recommend a birding tour company for Ecuador?

Ah, just catching up with this....

...not really. For the portion of our trip that was in the Andes, we drove ourselves around, on this occasion.

We rented a Hyundai Tuscon in Quito, and drove it over to "Las Gralarias" (just above Mindo on the Pacific slope). We then drove back through Quito over the Papallacta Pass to Termas de Papallacta (tried to skirt the northern end of the city - big mistake! Was very difficult to find our way to the highway we needed - we went miles out of the way. Mind you, on the upside, got great views of Volcán Cayambe while we were "lost" [a guy is never truly lost - he just can't help it if the roads are wrong!!!])

Then, returned to Quito after a couple of days (that was easy, actually - staying on major roads isn't bad), to join a birding tour that was heading to the Napo River. It was one of the big deal American companies running that, rather than an Ecuadorian agency. This company only does pre-arranged, scheduled tours, so I don't think they're what you are looking for.

However, on a previous trip to Ecuador, we had some help from Carmen Bustamente, arranging for drivers to various places. You might try reaching her through the Cabanas San Isidro site: http://cabanasanisidro.com/pages/tours.htm.

Peter C.

We got back from our northern Peru trip on Tuesday. In about two weeks, we saw 42 hummer species, including six endemic to Peru (and also including hours of watching the Marvelous Spatuletail). We used no guides at all, used mostly public transport and did everything independently, and didn't rush around. If you used guides and were willing to zip everywhere, it's probably possible to see at least 20 or 30 more species. We just like sitting and watching, and things worked out really well. While Colombia definitely gives Peru a run for its money, and Ecuador & Costa Rica are smaller and more manageable, this was very much an unforgettable trip.

My Back yard in Nashville, TN during the summer is a Hummingbird paradise at least 4 to 10 males battle for air supremacy each year, a sight to see.

my place, cal. s.e. alaska (any feeder) can produce clouds.............

above are rufous. have had had 6 species (4 common).

Attachments

• pic2mail%20copy%20of%20hummerz1.jpg
    pic2mail%20copy%20of%20hummerz1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 46
my place, cal. s.e. alaska (any feeder) can produce clouds.............

above are rufous. have had had 6 species (4 common).

Please say more specific about the location!
Chico, CA, or southeast alaska? What time of year? Are there Calliope in steady frequent visits?

Please say more specific about the location!
Chico, CA, or southeast alaska? What time of year? Are there Calliope in steady frequent visits?

I worked in Glacier Bay. About 70 miles south west of Juneau. There were just a few government houses then (in a small area) at the entrance of the bay. My neighbor would have hundreds of Rufous at a massive 'gallon size' feeder her husband made her. I had a smaller feeder and would fill 5 times a day (if I was around). Many of the fishing villages around had similiar sites. The Rufous would get there in mid April - be gone by July 4th.

At my home in Chico - I get spring migrant Rufous (earliest ever Feb 8th) but most in April. Also get Rufous heading south from late July to mid August.

My resident are Anna's. There are many Anna's migrants though in the spring.

Black chins show up in late April and are here until early September.

Calliopes are here every year (for a few weeks) in late April. Their numbers vary greatly each year.

I've had Costa's 3 times. All late May.

I identified an Allen's a long time ago - just to get it out of the way. They are here at times (they live on the coast) - but I'm too lazy anymore to ID.

I'm hoping for a Broad Tailed to fly over from Reno.

====================

As more and more people put up feeders - I think my numbers are lower than in years past. That being said - friends who live south of town on a hill surrounded by prairie get "Clouds" of hummers. Big violent masses. Just like Alaska...........

Attachments

• 050b(smaller pixel).jpg
    050b(smaller pixel).jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 38
Dave,

Spent a week on Baja California Sur, on the Sea of Cortez side several years ago. We started in Cabo San Lucas and went as far north as Mulege. We took a side trip to the Copper Canyon on the Mexico mainland, just south of Chihuahua, Mexcio and between these two places we saw a ton of hummers. Up in the mountains I saw some of the largest hummers I ever saw.

But to talk about the most hummers in one place ... I saw them right here on BirdForum that were posted by member Frank Janzen who lived in Mountain Center CA.

When he moved to BirdForum, there were a lot of folks who knew Frank. I'm sorry I have been away for several years, so I don't know where Frank might be reached.

Ciao

Dick

my cousins back yard in San Jose California is my favourite spot. Also the natural springs in Florida always seem to attract a few.B :)

Ecuador is a spectacular country for hummingbirds with a good birder/tourist infrastructure and established circuit. Within a month, I recorded 80+ species of hummingbirds in that country, including such spectacular species as Gould's Jewelfront, Giant Hummingbird, Great Sapphirewing, Velvet-purple Coronet, Wire-crested Thorntail, Napo Sabrewing, Empress Brilliant, Tourmaline Sunangel... I can go on and on.

Ecuador does not only have an incredible diversity of hummingbirds, but they also make up a considerable portion of the biomass -- they are among the dominant bird families in paramo and montane forests. The hummingbird feeder (trash can lid) at Buenaventura is a sight to behold -- there must be a hundred hummingbirds of about a dozen different species visiting those feeders daily. Tony Nunnery's feeders in the Tandayapa Valley and the feeders at Wild Sumaco Lodge are also quite special.

If you want beaches and sun for the family combined with a fairly easy birding trip, then how about placing Puerto Rico on the radar? The island has five different hummingbird species (plus a bunch of other neat endemics, all easily seen with some planning in just a few days), plus plenty of things to do with non-birder spouses.

Carlos

Ecuador is a spectacular country

Absolutely - I'll never forget the feeders at Buenaventura Reserve in sourthern Ecuador - you almost need to wear a hard-hat and glasses - the diversity and abundance of hummingbirds is outrageous!

Of the hummingbird feeders I saw in Colombia (and there are many good ones), the best is without doubt the El Dorado Reserve, where you can see five endemic Colombian hummingbirds at the feeders by the lodge (Blossomcrown; Black-Backed Thornbill; White-tailed Starfrontlet; Santa Marta Sabrewing and Santa Marta Woodstar). Not so many hummingbirds but just outstanding quality species.

Did you get the sabrewing at the feeders eric?

Not to mention that the new (?) hotel in Minca, lower down the mountain, gets about another 10-15 species!

Cheers,

filip

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back