• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Larks, pipits - Ulcinj saltpans, Montenegro (30 Nov) (1 Viewer)

General Melchett

About 35 miles behind the front line
Supporter
The following are from a large saltpan near Ulcinj in southwestern Montenegro. If someone could confirm or correct my id attempts it would be much appreciated!

1. Skylark
2,3,4. Water pipit?
5. Is this a young yellow wagtail?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 88
crested lark and water pipits, not too certain on the wagtail, but white wagtail looks good.

hi Richard,
i agree with Nick for 1-4 and 5 M.alba in winter plumage. I can see black on the side of the neck which would rule out M. flava or any migratory M.citreola, if indeed you even get them where you are during migration and if the migration is still on even.

Andy

Thanks Nick, much appreciated.

For the lark, the bill made me think crested, but the cheek patch threw me a bit.

In the field the wagtail didn't look monochrome enough to me for a white. The photo isn't very clear unfortunately but there was a definite fleshy tone to the underparts and ... how do I put it in my inexperience ... just didn't "feel" like a white wagtail to me. I do have a lot to learn however!

Thanks again.

Hi Andy.

Thanks a million. Yes, now that you've both pointed me in the right direction I can't even think why I thought Skylark in the first place!

There were a lot of white wagtails around the site and this chap (hanging around on its own) just didn't look right, but I'm slowly learning that my initial instincts are not always to be trusted!

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back