• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser Everest (ED) 8x42 (1 Viewer)

I read Dennis's original post last night before I went to bed. My initial reaction was a good one as it is nice to read about confirmation of one's own experiences. Dennis is a little more enthusiastic about relating his experiences than I was. Nothing wrong with that but, as in the case with the Sightron, I try to look at each binocular with a completely open mind..not just looking at its strong points but its weaknesses as well.

I don't think Dennis's initial enthusiasm is unfounded. You folks know me well enough to know that there are plenty of binoculars I find satisfying optically and ergonomically. With my current financial restraints though I can't buy every binocular I like. Having said that I did just sell one of my Sightron Blue Sky 8x32s to Stet to help finance the purchase of the Bresser. If I didn't think it would add something to my binocular selection then I wouldn't have bought it.

Having said that I will share in some of the skepticism with Dennis's review/comments. I don't doubt his experiences but rather question the initial enthusiasm associated with a good binocular purchase versus the long-term impressions that come with owning any given model.

In other words, if Dennis doesn't change his mind and still owns the Bresser three months from now then I will accept his comments at face value.

From my perspective the Bressers continue to see regular use and continue to impress me in a variety of areas.

I figured out why these Bresser's are so good. They are designed in Germany by a German! Even the box is quality unlike the Chinese binoculars that come in a box like a milk carton. The strap works, the case is great, and the objective covers stay on. I knew it had to be designed by a German. Rolf Bresser.

http://www.bresser.com/about/aboutus.html

This website is 2 years old. I can't find any "Everest" binoculars listed there.

Are they new?

Bob

Here you go Bob. Bresser was bought by Meade at one point and I think Explorer Scientific owns the rights to these now.

http://bresserbinoculars.com/

Nothing about the country of origin is marked on the bi ocular, the box or any of the paperwork.

Germany it is! Since Bressar is a German name. ;)

I wonder how the 8x25 Montana is? The FOV is just average but ED glass. The thing I really like about Bresser Everest 8x42 ED is I get NO blackouts. About 9 out of 10 binoculars that I try I get some kind of blackouts. Even Swarovski's I get blackouts. With the Bresser's I get NO blackouts even while panning. Fantastic. As Frank says the more you use them the more you like them. The ergos are really nice.

Are you inferring the Chinese would intentionally misrepresent a product just to increase sales? ;)
Change the cover, slap a different label on it and, voila, you have a "new" model ready for BF review. I envision "manufacturers" going to China and picking options the way we Americans buy Chinese food. I'll bet they have picture menus to simplify the process!

I would respectfully ask you gentlemen to leave your anti-Chinese sentiment elsewhere. If you don't enjoy their performance then there are plenty of other threads to participate in.

Where is the "intentional misrepresentation"? The website link above speaks openly (and proudly) of the Chinese production facilities. Just because Dennis decided to engage in some humerous speculation...

Frank - did you ever write up a comparison with the ED3? You did for the Sightron but I'm curious how close the optics are with the 2x more expensive model. The ED3 obviously will win the CA competition but what about brightness, size of sweet spot, edges, etc? The smaller size of the Bressers is appealing to me but I was always impressed with the apparent brightness of the ED3s, it wa always obvious when I switched to them from my Sightrons or Furys.

That's what I say. They even smell German. I smelled Frank's foot when I opened the box.

Oh, no, not Frank's foot! Another odoriferous bin! Try some "tough actin' Tinactin".;)

Frank, I didn't know you were German, but your smelly feet aside, I think we're in for another high post count thread like the Sightron II's once more people get these Meades, er... I mean Bressers, in their hands and up to their eyes. Given their low price, I suspect a lot of people will buy them based on your favorable comments and your reputation for being "fair and balanced" in your reviews.

I don't know how you manage to sniff out these bargains before everybody else, I guess "necessity is the mother of invention" since they fit your budget. Your penchant for finding "best buys" is quite remarkable.

Therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Universitartus Committiartum E Pluribus Unum, I hereby, here fore, and to wit, confer upon you an Honorary Doctorate in Penny Pinching.

<B>

Somehow I missed the earlier comment about my stinky feet. How did you guys know? Did Stet tell you?

;)

Brock,

Thank you for bestowing such an hour. King of the Inexpensive Unit it is. Just don't use that phrase when you speak to my intended. She might mistake your meaning.

Glad I was able to find another diamond in the rough. I think it is my calling. ;)

Eitan,

I was contemplating how to describe an apparent brightness comparison without getting into apparent contrast as the two are particularly related for this comparison. So, since Brock mentioned the Sightron thread I thought I would follow my procedure there. Your eyes can be your own judge. The link below are some pics I digi-binned through five of my current binoculars. All are labeled.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/73029961@N07/

Had the Bresser's out birding this morning and I was really impressed how they did in low light. Very sharp on-axis and they maintain nice contrast at low light levels. I could see every detail on the bird that I see with my SE's. The ergonomics and the size is really nice. Zen Rays were always too long for me. These things fit my hands like an EL. I am dumbfounded at the quality of these things. The quality level is more like a Zeiss or Leica Ultravid than a Chinese binocular. If these are made in China then the big three better watch out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back