• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why? (1 Viewer)

Hmm - would you settle for a magnification lever? ;)

Graham

That would be even worse! But, some people like to spend more time focusing than observing. To each his own.

I don't get wrapped around the axle, too much. When you've been in it 24/7/365 for decades, you just have to notice the battle never cools, and is as insignificant today as it was 40 years before the Internet!

The bottom line:

Unless you're wealthy enough to have an "in" with a manufacturer--and you want some aspect of performance to change--stop whining, and pony up the money for a new binocular. Of course, there'll be something to complain about there, too. But, at least you'll have a new bino outta the deal.

Just a thought. (o)<

Bill

I just ponied up $800 for a new 12x50 SE. I'm almost certain I'll complain about the CA.:h?:

That would be even worse! But, some people like to spend more time focusing than observing. To each his own.

I don't get wrapped around the axle, too much. When you've been in it 24/7/365 for decades, you just have to notice the battle never cools, and is as insignificant today as it was 40 years before the Internet!

The bottom line:

Unless you're wealthy enough to have an "in" with a manufacturer--and you want some aspect of performance to change--stop whining, and pony up the money for a new binocular. Of course, there'll be something to complain about there, too. But, at least you'll have a new bino outta the deal.

Just a thought. (o)<

Bill

In hindsight I'm the ultimate fool for not buying the 8 and 10X SE in the very recent past while they were still available. :-C

Maybe so, but you'll at least have a fine bino to drown your sorrows in. I use its infant brother.

Bill

Depending on personal preferences, you might want to consider the Nikon 8X30 EII if you want the "ultimate" in what a Porro view has to offer!

Hi Bruce, Bruce H #2 here :-O

Are the Japanese eBay vendors the only way to get these new, and if so, which vendor would anybody recommend ? In your opinion the 8X30 EII stacks up well to the 8X SE ?

Depending on personal preferences, you might want to consider the Nikon 8X30 EII if you want the "ultimate" in what a Porro view has to offer!

Hi Bruce, Bruce H #2 here :-O

Greetings BH! You have been a forum member much longer than me so you are definitely number 1.

Are the Japanese eBay vendors the only way to get these new, and if so, which vendor would anybody recommend ?.........

I am not aware of anyone in the US that normally has new units available. The overseas choices I have seen are Asia (mostly Japan) and Britain. The British units are most likely more expensive, but you can go with an established store and do have a common language.

I do not recall seeing any comments from someone getting scammed by a Japanese eBay vendor. If I were looking for new, I would start with the best eBay price, then check out the vendor membership date, volume of sales, look over the reviews in detail, and take into consideration the quality of the ad copy. If all is good, then got for it. If I was not comfortable with that vendor, then I would go to the next one up on the price ladder. I would also want a vendor with a return policy just in case there is a major problem. In the worse case, eBay is good in supporting the purchaser, but be sure and read the current eBay rules for overseas items and dollar limitations.

Another option is to buy a used unit and that is what I did. Mine came from Brock's stockpile as he was kind enough to let one go! Keep watch on the For Sale forum here, eBay, Astromart and Cloudy Nights. Seems like one pops up every few weeks. The price will be about the same as a new one from Japan, but you do have the opportunity to ask detailed questions and if a forum member, you may have a sense of their character. I would desire a return period of a couple of days to make sure all is good. The downside of course is that it could be awhile before a like new unit shows up.

Most of the newer units for sale were initially exported to Japan, so that means there is no Nikon USA warranty. If I ever have a problem, I will probably send it to an independent repair facility.

The only problems I recall reading about concerning units from Japanese eBay vendors were a spec or two of dirt inside, but nothing to hurt the view.

Also be aware that there are two generations of the EII, the older gray body and the newest black body. I suspect the black body may have new coatings, but I will let Brock comment on that. Second, Ceasar (Bob) has reported the gray body covering coming loose.

...... In your opinion the 8X30 EII stacks up well to the 8X SE ?

I have the Nikon 8X30 EII, 10X35 EII, 8X32 SE and access to a 10X42 SE. All Have the newest coatings. If the goal is to select the one that best presents the Porro viewing experience, then for me, it is the Nikon 8X30 EII.

I like to use a Porro when I want to optimize the "overall" view. The Porro does this better than a roof with a more realistic apparent depth of field and scaling of the subjects. With that in mind, I go with an 8X over a 10X because of the deeper depth of field and I go with the 8X EII over the 8X SE because of the wider field of view.

The SE has sharper edges, but due to the large field of view of the EII, the mild edges are outside of the primary viewing area.

Some advantages of the SE:
- Rounded corners so it may be more comfortable for some.
- Sharper edges (but some loss of sharpness to me)
- Less pin cushion.

Some advanges of the 8X EII:
- Larger field of view for a more natural presentation (462 ft vs 393 ft, Apparent FOV(simple) 70.4 vs 60.0 degrees)
- Somewhat easier eye placement.

Based on my two samples, the EII color balance is slightly warmer than the SE, which is very close to neutral. I am not one to ask on CA, but the SE looks to handle it just a little bit better. Neither one present any CA or glare issues for me.

If I were to go out right now under the bright noon day AZ summer sun and look at the side of mountain a few thousand yards away, I would not see much difference between the two because the viewing conditions are not right for a spectacular view. However, when conditions are right, the EII comes into it's own.

My favorite view scenario is to visit one of our water recharge ponds when the sun is to the rear and lower in the horizon, there are colorful ducks on the pond at close, medium and far distances, the water is calm and surrounded by different colors are vegetation. This is a situation where you just want to take it all in and appreciate the whole view. Nothing I have owned presents it better than the 8X30 EII. In a previous post of a few days ago, I referred to it as a National Geographic moment.

These threads on the SE have gone on for quite some time. I wonder when someone will postulate that the SE is just an EII in a 50s-type Wallensack body. That should liven things up a lot. :brains:

Bill

These threads on the SE have gone on for quite some time. I wonder when someone will postulate that the SE is just an EII in a 50s-type Wallensack body. That should liven things up a lot. :brains:

Bill

It will not be me because I have no idea (and I am not sure why I should care)!

Thanks for taking the time to reply with such detail. The 8X EII sounds like it would be one dynamite little package.

It will not be me because I have no idea (and I am not sure why I should care)!

Frankly, you shouldn't. But, if you took all the unessential esoterica out of these forums, they would cease to exist. But, on BF and others, we have a chance to see many complex solutions to non-existent problems. That, alone, is worth the price of admission.

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back