• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100x (1 Viewer)

MagpieCorvidae

(Kind of a useless post, but I am a sci-fi geek...)

Imagine two of these honeycomb sensor spheres shrunk to 42mm diameter and fitted in place of objective lens in a future binocular ... and imagine the eyecaps being EVFs (electronic viewfinders)

426615-bristling.nbcnews-ux-760-360.jpg

These spheres are currently 50 gigapixel sensors:
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/50-gigapixel-camera-straight-out-science-fiction-f840003

426616-lake-shot.nbcnews-ux-760-800.jpg

Imagine finding your battery's flat just as you find something interesting ......

LOL :)
Same argument went on for all digital cameras back in the day, but photographers don't have much issue capturing unique moments; as we notice the battery getting low we put in the extras.

Hell in a decade we might get fuel cell batteries that last 30 years.

LOL :)
Same argument went on for all digital cameras back in the day, but photographers don't have much issue capturing unique moments; as we notice the battery getting low we put in the extras.

Hell in a decade we might get fuel cell batteries that last 30 years.

The problem with the technology is after it has aged and is no longer supported. I had to ditch two Garmin streetpilot GPS's from my motorcycles because they were no longer supported by the current OS when I had to upgrade computers because microsoft quit supporting the old software, then there are all the floppy discs that are unusable along with 2 or 3 mapping DVD's that arent recognized by Windows vista, 7 or 8.

Then when it breaks after a year or two it will cost more to repair than replace.

If you have good old glass and eye balls, it's always supported, unlike some versions of Canons IS Binocs

Actually obsolescence depends on the manufacturer. A headphones manufacturer sold me a complete set of spares TEN YEARS after the purchase, and I could restore them to an as new condition. The original headphones were something like 200 euro and I paid 70 for the spares. Moreover, the manufacturer has improved the materials used substantially and the new spares even improved the old model.

I know other examples of responsible manufacturers who repair at reasonable costs, sell spares and guarantee you that the product won't be obsolete.

Ideally we should vote with our wallets. Unfortunately, most people just want the cheapest and when it breaks they just look for a cheap replacement. And that kind of attitude has somewhat forced many electronics manufacturers to race to the bottom in price and quality.

Those sensor spheres pictured in the 1st post look like mechanical reproductions of a flies eye!:eek!::eek!:

Bob

Actually obsolescence depends on the manufacturer. A headphones manufacturer sold me a complete set of spares TEN YEARS after the purchase, and I could restore them to an as new condition. The original headphones were something like 200 euro and I paid 70 for the spares. Moreover, the manufacturer has improved the materials used substantially and the new spares even improved the old model.

I know other examples of responsible manufacturers who repair at reasonable costs, sell spares and guarantee you that the product won't be obsolete.

Ideally we should vote with our wallets. Unfortunately, most people just want the cheapest and when it breaks they just look for a cheap replacement. And that kind of attitude has somewhat forced many electronics manufacturers to race to the bottom in price and quality.

That is very true. I sold about 15 plasma cutters back in the 90's around $1500 each, Voltage spikes would knock out the main board in them. The manufacter of the boards went out of business, the price of the replacement board went from about $495 to $1495. Then 5 years down the road that maker closed doors. The only way you could get them fixed was to rebuild the board. Then finding the parts with the correct eletrical values became an issue.

Typing this out on a windows XP laptop that microsoft has abandoned all security upgrades on and said, you are on your own with.

Shrinking leads to the issue of diffraction limitations. You can see that affecting the sensors they have.
A more daunting issue, though: if you can only see about 2-4MP at a time, how will you use 40GP?
Walking around 'live' sort of limits what you can do. Some image processing and flagging would be nice,
to help you find something and direct your (smaller) view.

It's really useful, if you have massive storage, for history. Where did those birds (or people, vans) come from
or go to before/after an event? Useful for bird behavior or Big Brother.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back