• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Digiscope (1 Viewer)

monoglypha

Hi,

I have been interested in natural history for years (mainly insects) and am now hoping to start photographing birds.
I have never used a digiscope and do not have too much of an idea on what would be best, i currently have a Nikon coolpix 4500 and a nikon D70 slr cameras.

I am looking at a budget of about £ 1000.00 inc camera adapters.
I have looked at lots and and have no idea what would be best.

I have looked at Olivon T-84 edo 82mm objective, power 20-60x £900
Nikon ED 82 82mm objective no Eyepiece £900
Nikon EDlll 60mm objective Eyepiece no decided £770
Would the cheaper Nikon make a terrific difference in quality of the pics?
Any thoughts and ideas welcome.

I understand some of the scopes run into thousands so perhaps i am wasting my time trying to get decent bird shots with this equipment! I really have no idea so please advise

Steve

I would take a look at the Celestron Regal Series they are cheaper than all those scopes and produce satisfying enough results.

Here is one of the pictures I took using this scope. CLICKY

This picture was taken with the supplied eyepiece at the 20x (the lower end of the zoom) I would link you other peoples photos with this scope but I can't find any here on birdforum so you gotta stick with me sorry :)

The Celestron also has a thread on the eyepiece which can allow camera to attach directly to the eyepiece like your slr (although I think compact cameras produce better images) I would take a look at it also this review can help with its quality. CLICKY

I can't help you with the other scopes but if I was to upgrade from my Celestron Regal it would be the best Kowa scope which is alot of money....that is just to give you an idea

I know you're on a budget but you will notice a big difference after using a coolpix 4500 whatever you get. I got vey dis-heartened with the resultsfrom that set-up.

Currently using a Panasonic LumixG1 on a Swaro STS80HD and it's like a different hobby.

Whatever you get persevere and enjoy, most kit nowadays will give you good results.

If you get bored check out my links below.

Good birding, Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back