• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pro scanning 35mm slides (1 Viewer)

graham catley

anyone used any of the many companies offering pro conversion of 35mm slides to digital and have any recommendations? I have about 3000 that need doing --

I'd be interested in this info also, particularly for companies based in the US.

Last edited:
anyone used any of the many companies offering pro conversion of 35mm slides to digital and have any recommendations? I have about 3000 that need doing --

Hi Graham.
I've never used any companies for slide conversion, but for the amount you mention could cost, I would imagine, the thick end of a grand.

However I do know, and have used one, that you can get various scanners that will do the job for a fraction of the cost + you can also get an adapter that allows you to photograph the slides, that fits onto a digital SLR, I've also used one of these and sold it after used + the results were good.

You can buy either of these for between £60 to £80, as long as you have the patience to scan or photograph them all.

Try a search on 35mm slides to digital, It'll give you an Idea of the cost from a company.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Ray

I did have a photo adaptor and have had a Nikon slide scanner but just never got the results that I wanted -- I did expect to have to pay about £1000 for a pro job

I've have used two so-called dedicated slide scanners,each costing between £100-£200, over the years,and in general ,even with Photoshop, the results have been awful.I have a friend who has a Nikon scanner that cost ? £600 who has done somewhat better. Never tried to photograph the slides with my digital camera so would be interested in other people's experiences of doing this.

I've have used two so-called dedicated slide scanners,each costing between £100-£200, over the years,and in general ,even with Photoshop, the results have been awful.I have a friend who has a Nikon scanner that cost ? £600 who has done somewhat better. Never tried to photograph the slides with my digital camera so would be interested in other people's experiences of doing this.

I am in the same position but have nothing like the standard of your photos Tom. I have seen an Ion SLIDE2PC Slide Scanner advertised and it has reasonable reviews but at a price of £60 am now wondering if it is likely to be of any benefit. Has anyone used this.

Cheers Ray

I did have a photo adaptor and have had a Nikon slide scanner but just never got the results that I wanted -- I did expect to have to pay about £1000 for a pro job

Just managed to dig out a photo of the daughter in law, which I took from a 35mm slide.
This was taken in 2005 with 20D camera + the adapter that I sold.
Camera was tripod mounted and facing the window, which acted as the light source, shining through the slide.
Maybe not the best of quality, but technique and technology has improved quite a bit since then.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 72
Hello Bob.
I am pretty sure that one of the so-called slide scanners that I used a while back was similar to the one you've seen advertised.All I can say is that I tried about half a dozen slides and went no further as the results were a waste of time.I was eventually given it in a present and still have it so if you want to borrow it and have a go send me a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back