• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

National Geographic Birds Field Guide 7th edition (1 Viewer)

Fugl, I assume that you meant 'novice', this is a different word here and is used to describe a sex offender!

A

? ? ? I find a different meaning in my online dictionary:
"for the nonce" = for the moment (or something along those lines)

I presume we are not looking for slang wording, though the "for the nonce" saying is apparently also a bit out of line as it's outdated according to my dictionary. Nevertheless, I just learned two new things. :)

Last edited:
. . . Nevertheless, I just learned two new things. :)

Me too—
1. The British slang meaning
2. That it was outdated in its original meaning (none of the dictionaries I just consulted label it as such—at least for the nonce ;)).

Boy, are we drifting OT here. . .. ;)

Last edited:
? ? ? I find a different meaning in my online dictionary:
"for the nonce" = for the moment (or something along those lines)

I presume we are not looking for slang wording, though the "for the nonce" saying is apparently also a bit out of line as it's outdated according to my dictionary. Nevertheless, I just learned two new things. :)

From Wki

Nonce first came into widespread use in UK prisons, where it is primarily used by prisoners to refer to convicted sex offenders, especially abusers of children. "Nonces" are traditionally targets of physical abuse from their fellow prison inmates, and so usually go on to Rule 45 (formerly Rule 43),[1] the rule that enables the segregation of vulnerable prisoners from the other prisoners for their own safety.

Not pleasant but now you know....

A

From Wki

Nonce first came into widespread use in UK prisons, where it is primarily used by prisoners to refer to convicted sex offenders, especially abusers of children. "Nonces" are traditionally targets of physical abuse from their fellow prison inmates, and so usually go on to Rule 45 (formerly Rule 43),[1] the rule that enables the segregation of vulnerable prisoners from the other prisoners for their own safety.

Interesting. I wonder if there’s a connection with “nance”, British slang (?still current) for a male homosexual?

Interesting. I wonder if there’s a connection with “nance”, British slang (?still current) for a male homosexual?

Nance I assume, is just an abbreviation of Nancy Boy which means the same thing and I think we have the prize for tangent of the week!

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back