• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corncrake search 2008 (1 Viewer)

Dougie Preston

I live for this S**T
I'm planning a trip to the highlands in Spring 2008 (timing very flexable), and I'm hoping to catch up with Corncrake, inc sighting not just hearing. I know they are more visable when they first arrive, so I'm lookng for the correct weeks to look and the best places to look please.

The only thing is as it's going to cost me a fortune to even get off Shetland and find acomidation, petrol etc. I don't really want to blow another £130 for a return ferry to Coll (already checked!). Is there any other cheaper way of seeing one???

Cheers Dougie.:stuck:

I'm planning a trip to the highlands in Spring 2008 (timing very flexable), and I'm hoping to catch up with Corncrake, inc sighting not just hearing. I know they are more visable when they first arrive, so I'm lookng for the correct weeks to look and the best places to look please.

The only thing is as it's going to cost me a fortune to even get off Shetland and find acomidation, petrol etc. I don't really want to blow another £130 for a return ferry to Coll (already checked!). Is there any other cheaper way of seeing one???

Cheers Dougie.:stuck:

Hi Dougie.

I went to Tiree a few weeks ago. They were dead easy to see there. I saw them a number of times scuttling about the road. There were plenty of photographic oppertunities. I'd take a bike on the ferry and cycle about the island taking in all the best sites. We went near the end of May. The crakes were still calling and there is a good chance of a rare or two.

There is a hostel on the island which cost about 12 quid a night is handily placed and very confortable.

If it rains you can hire a car on the island from 30 quid which is far cheaper then taking your own motor.

Wow that was a fast reply, thanks.

I'd never thought about hiring a car though, the thought of getting caught in miserable weather doesn't appeal much. Sounds like a good holiday though and will certainly look into it. Any idea when they first arrive on the islands?

Any idea when they first arrive on the islands?

I think they generally arrive around the end of April. Mid-May is probably the best time to see them, although I found them relatively easy to see at Balranald on North Uist in early June (I heard them as soon as I opened the car door and had seen one about five minutes later - saw 3 - 4 in total).

I believe Iona is meant to be quite good too.

Sounds good too, thanks for that!

I think by the sounds of it I'll try to go the first week in May as I don't want to be off these islands too much in Spring in case I miss any goodies up here!

Unfortunately there seems to be almost no chance of a sighting up here, but with a bit of luck they might just spread North again as I believe they used to be quite numerous once!

Hi Dougie

There's always FIBO in the autumn if its just to see the Crex y'after? I've scored twice in 3 visits...attached in the hand of your very own Mr Baxter.

Otherwise, I'd suggest Lewis as a possibility in May. Archie Archer,myself and 3 others had an awesome trip in Spring 05 scoring the WBD, superb views of both eagles, surf scotor, weird N Eider types at Reef, etc. A damn fine long weekend. Singing Crex seen well at reserve near the Butt (notebooks in storage so Arch can fill in the details if he's aboot?) Early in the season is recommended as the grass ain't so long then.

Keeping costs down you can get off Shetland via the ferry to Aberdeen and could either hire a car or (I'd reckon) train it across to Ullapool...there's also a possible tie-in with the RBA Albert trip here maybe? Not sure on date for that. The Friday night Lerwick-Kirkwall-Aberdeen ferry is worth the price of the trip alone if wholesale debauchery interests you in any shape or form...

McMadd (who's just had a call to tell him first confirmed singing Lancy of the year is back in central Finland...)

Last edited:
second time lucky or i don't play no more!

Attachments

• P9220106 800x600.jpg
    P9220106 800x600.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 135
Dougie,

As already mentioned Balranald visitor centre is pretty much a stick on if you spend any time there. There is a cover area right next to the wee visitor centre which has a lawn and the birds often cross it. Lawn is cut all summer, and the birds have put up with primary school kids a few feet away and even been known to walk under cars whilst the folk in them are oblivious!!

Timing of arrival here is a usually from late April-Early May, but can be delayed by weather - met some folk the other spring who came at that time and were too early really only one or two around - they had to make do with snowy owl! Again depending on the weather, keeping the veg short they can be seen relatively easily into June, at various spots around the islands. Car hire is no problem here if cuts your costs.

Excellent selection of birds here that ain't in Shetland, - big wader passage in spring, plus the chance of skuas, loads of raptors and breeding waders etc.

Pic of roadside bird in South Uist I nearly ran over on 20 May,

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• corncrake 2_1.jpg
    corncrake 2_1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 404
Hi Dougie,

As has been said, Balranald is probably your best bet, however i've had them for the last 2 years on Skye, which doesn't require leaving the mainland. PM me if you want more details.

Cheers

D

The neat lawns around the camp at Balivanich on Benbecula are good as well as Balranald. Personally I like Iona but its a bit more difficult to reach from Shetland. Someone mentioned on here that they are to be found around Durness which is actually mainland, haven't tried myself.

John

The neat lawns around the camp at Balivanich on Benbecula are good as well as Balranald. Personally I like Iona but its a bit more difficult to reach from Shetland. Someone mentioned on here that they are to be found around Durness which is actually mainland, haven't tried myself.

John

I was in Durness at the begining of June, the guy who owns the campsite at Sango Bay thought there weren't as many corncrake around as there had been ten years ago - which is, perhaps, opposite to the trend on the islands. Having said that, he did say he'd heard one the week before in the field opposite the campsite. Plenty of decent habitat for them in the area - we didn't bother looking for them as Durness was carpeted in a continuous blanket of fog whilst we were there!

We visited North Uist last year, a male was calling from a pile of stones right by the visitors centre at Balranald, but we also had two males fighting nearby and a couple of birds in surrounding fields. Up to three were calling in the sandhills we camped in north of Balranald too.

One thing I would say - get up early and stay out until it's late. I don't mean 7.00am early - I mean first light early!

Jonathan

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=96880

Sorry for not getting back, as my AOL connection has been down all day!

Sounds like I've got plenty of sites to choose from, and looks like start of May as well. as for:

"The Friday night Lerwick-Kirkwall-Aberdeen ferry is worth the price of the trip alone if wholesale debauchery interests you in any shape or form..."

I think my wife might have something to say about that, as I have to make this a holiday for her as well (not allowed to play "birding" all Holiday).

Cheers to everyone though. I'll let you know how I get on next Spring!!!!

Another tip: its all very well looking for calling Corncrakes - and sooner or later you probably will get lucky with one on a wall or something - but its also well worth randomly scanning open areas and particularly along the edge of iris beds where there are no calls, because Corncrakes frequently come into the open while feeding but stay silent while they do so!

John

When they first arrive in the Uist's the iris beds are the first thing they make for as the grass is normally not high enough to hide them.

Eastern USA November 2017 record

Here is one from Long Island (Suffolk Co.) New York State in November 2017

Attachments

• CornCrake.LI.8Nov2017a.jpg
    CornCrake.LI.8Nov2017a.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back